Posted from Reddit

Discuss:

"The Total Amount of time Each 2023 Finalist Drum Corp Marched and Played in their Show

Just because I always hear people talking about marching and playing in the shows, I was curious how much time each show was actually spent marching and playing. Here is my definition of what I mean by "marching and playing" just so yall know how I got that total

"Marching and Playing": Playing any form of notes on their brass wind instrument while rhythmically and in time moving to the music across the field. Doesnt matter how slow or fast the movement is AS LONG as it is in time and they are physically moving from one location to another new location. Rhythmic visuals that cause you to be stationary and/or move side to side do not count

1. Troopers - 5:06

2. Carolina Crown - 4:46

3. The Cadets - 4:41

4. Bluecoats - 3:56

5. Blue Devils - 3:15

6. Boston Crusaders - 3:10

7. The Cavaliers - 3:09

8. Blue Knights - 3:03

9. Blue Stars - 2:50

10. The Colts - 2:47

11. Phantom Regiment - 2:31

12. The Mandarins - 2:20

As I did this manually in an editing software, I would give a margin of error between 1-5 seconds

**Edit - Below I am adding the total length of each show and the percentage that each show includes marching and playing**

[Corp Name] - [Length of Show] - [Percentage of Show playing and Marching]

1. Blue Devils - 12:10 - 27%

2. Bluecoats - 13:10 - 30%

3. Carolina Crown - 12:49 - 37%

4. Boston Crusaders - 12:31 - 25%

5. The Cadets - 11:19 - 41%

6. The Mandarins - 11:41 - 20%

7. Phantom Regiment - 11:48 - 21%

8. The Cavaliers - 10:37 - 30%

9. The Colts - 11:15 - 25%

10. The Troopers - 12:21 - 41%

11. Blue Stars - 12:05 - 23%

12. Blue Knights - 11:24 - 27%"

Edited by wolfgang

did you calculate how much playing and doing body/dance?

• Like 1

If I ever tell myself I'm unhealthily obsessed with DCI, I'll just go back to this thread and remind myself that I could have been the person that did marching time calculations. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

did you calculate how much playing and doing body/dance?

It wouldn't be much.
The above criteria for marching and playing includes playing and demonstrating any movement, rhythmically together, from one point to another. 

Does the timer stop if ANY section of the corps is not in motion? If we're saying the battery stops up front for their feature and that stops the timer because they aren't moving even though the rest of the corps is, then I can absolutely see these numbers.

15 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Does the timer stop if ANY section of the corps is not in motion? If we're saying the battery stops up front for their feature and that stops the timer because they aren't moving even though the rest of the corps is, then I can absolutely see these numbers.

The whole thing is biased to whatever the timer decides. There are many criteria you can track but nothing will be clear when sections don't all do the same thing. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I believe they were basing their calculation on the hornline:

"Playing any form of notes on their brass wind instrument... "