New turf to be installed at Lucas Oil July 2024

Any thoughts on this? Would like to here from those who marched on the different turfs if it makes that much a difference 

https://fox59.com/sports/turf-at-lucas-oil-stadium-to-be-replaced/#:~:text=The Indianapolis Colts' home dome,be completed by July 2024.

Prob makes more a difference for those playing football (as it should).

So -- DCI gets to "play" on it before the Colts do?  Are we breaking it in for them?

1 hour ago, CrownBariDad said:

So -- DCI gets to "play" on it before the Colts do?  Are we breaking it in for them?

Actually, yes. When we installed our HS turf several years ago, the company told our coach/AD that the more the band marched on it the better.  It keeps it "pliable" or something to that effect.  Totally opposite from natural grass.  

Funny story: we usually host a corps every year in mid to late July.  Can't remember which group, but they set up their "circle" several times prior to visual or ensemble blocks.  Of course they left indentions in the turf.  Coach came to me the next day and said, "WTH coach? Did a UFO land in the stadium yesterday?" (Yes, he called me 'coach' as a sign of respect.) He was probably upset but I smoothed it over as we had a great relationship. 😂      

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CAtenhut said:

I wonder if due to increased football injuries, the NFL is moving away from slit-film. I read that monofilament surfaces are slower and softer, so if that's the case, it could feel nicer to march on, but more difficult rolling props on. 

As I've posted,one of the things I do is design synthetic turf fields.

They're most likely going to use Field Turf's "Field Turf CORE System".

That's what they just put in at Metlife and will be or did at the Lion's stadium.

Its a "multi layer,dual polymer, mono filament".

You can google it if you want details.

There is one "problem" with bands/corps on synthetic turf.

They produce a lot of static electricity,especially indoors.

That "pulls" up the rubber pellets in the infill.

It doesn't damage the turf.

But,usually you have "groom" the field after they're done.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

As I've posted,one of the things I do is design synthetic turf fields.

They're most likely going to use Field Turf's "Field Turf CORE System".

That's what they just put in at Metlife and will be or did at the Lion's stadium.

Its a "multi layer,dual polymer, mono filament".

You can google it if you want details.

There is one "problem" with bands/corps on synthetic turf.

They produce a lot of static electricity,especially indoors.

That "pulls" up the rubber pellets in the infill.

It doesn't damage the turf.

But,usually you have "groom" the field after they're done.

What I'm reading here is "White uniforms + Floor work for body movement = lots of smudge"

32 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

There is one "problem" with bands/corps on synthetic turf.  They produce a lot of static electricity,especially indoors.

Great!  Rubber gloves for those mm moving metal props and everyone has to be grounded.  You wait and see once the feds learn about this new turf surface.  

Obscure fact of the day:  my high school band may have been the first to march on the old RCA (Hoosier) Dome turf.  It was so springing that a dropped rifle had a fair chance of bouncing high enough to catch it.  

show was a cadet style west side story opener with classic Santa Clara guard uniforms and a cavalier step over and a When You Wish Upon a Star closer arranged by Richard Saucedo.  This was 1985 Star of Indiana’s first season but I’m sure it was just a coincidence (wink)