CA Department of Justice sends Vanguard second delinquency notice as of Aug 25, 2023

5 hours ago, Richard Lesher said:

Finally............... when Charles Frost resigned and they put out a new CEO search, it was an open application process. 

I applied and submitted my resume to the same Board President that brought me in back in 2016 to help get the board visibility after Jeff Fielder resigned. 

I was never interviewed. 

I'd would also like to point out that there were more than a few other candidates that were also not interviewed who I think would have made even better candidates than myself. 

Gotcha. So it feels like you want to hurt SCV because they hurt you.  And rather than working with them in a way that the organization deems acceptable, you prefer to torch the organization down since they didn’t interview you in 2019 or take you up on your offers in the last year or two (based on previous comments in SCV alumni FB).

Generally speaking, I’ve followed your content since SCV announced last year and mostly agree with your points. But the approach of torching isn’t going to help your opportunity to convince SCV you can help them.  Unless your end goal is helping to officially end SCV ever fielding a corps again.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, year1buick said:

From the corps’ August 4 Organizational Update:

“Vanguard Music and Performing Arts (VMAPA) is in a much healthier place than where we were at the end of the 2022 tour. The organization has achieved its short-term fiscal goals of returning to current status with all vendors and is steadily working toward restoring our capital and endowment fund. This strategy has aided in the ability of the organization to not only consider a return for 2024 but to do so with an eye on ensuring our business model is sustainable into the future. Our accountants are also working closely with the Operations Team to complete our audits and meet our extended deadlines.

Umm…I hope they’re working on that quickly. This second notice seems to make this statement seem even more like an attempt to blow smoke up our collective derrières. 

I still hope they can get their #### together, because DCI is better with SCV in it.

I keep reading their statements as:

Financially we’ve cleaned up that mess.

Everything else: crickets 🦗 

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Reggi93 said:

Who you hire should align with your mission statement but doesn't necessarily mean "drum corps".  Many mission/vision statements now say "performing arts/music education" because the broader description allows for diversification of programming and potential revenue streams.  

And it risks diversifying ourselves out of drum corps.

Speaking candidly, the real reason drum corps non-profits become "performing arts" organizations is because they identify something in it that makes the drum corps more sustainable.  Maybe they lost their community visibility when they became a touring ensemble of global recruits.  Maybe they saw the benefit of a full-time year-round director, but needed more off-season programs to justify making CEO a year-round paid position.  Often, it is simply money... more donors, more grants, or other programs that actually make money instead of costing money.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AzEuph said:

Gotcha. So it feels like you want to hurt SCV because they hurt you.  And rather than working with them in a way that the organization deems acceptable, you prefer to torch the organization down since they didn’t interview you in 2019 or take you up on your offers in the last year or two (based on previous comments in SCV alumni FB).

Generally speaking, I’ve followed your content since SCV announced last year and mostly agree with your points. But the approach of torching isn’t going to help your opportunity to convince SCV you can help them.  Unless your end goal is helping to officially end SCV ever fielding a corps again.

Thank you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AzEuph said:

I see his comments as shining a light on a recently mismanaged and somewhat arrogant and entitled group who prefers to shut down open dialogue that covers a significant amount of financial questions and improprieties along with several other sorts of reported misbehavior.  The problem is far more with the SCV BOD and admin than with anyone questioning or factually reporting what is going on.  Look to where the real problems & why the situation persists and challenge that to be corrected, rather than pushing back on a reporter of continued questionable practices.

Edited by LabMaster
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, Reggi93 said:

That's what I thought.  Also, DCI required this of PIO too Right?  And they chose not to comply which is why they lost member status?  

Correct

18 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

I see his comments as shining a light on a recently mismanaged and somewhat arrogant and entitled group who prefers to shut down open dialogue that covers a significant amount of financial questions and improprieties along with several other sorts of reported misbehavior.  The problem is far more with the SCV BOD and admin than with anyone questioning or factually reporting what is going on.  Look to where the real problems & why the situation persists and challenge that to be corrected, rather than pushing back on a reporter of continued questionable practices.

I see some of both and asked directly once if the intent was my way or highway. I don’t think Richard feels he alone can solve it, but given his experience in the organization to be blown off and yet be willing to help could lead to understandable “F U” feelings 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Both things can be true at the same time. I think the BOD is downright terrible at what they do and there should be consequences for their mismanagement. There is substance in the content and documentation within his posts that are valuable. 

It doesn’t justify the routine online harassment of various people who aren’t in decision making positions, the threatening to dox dissenters, and the aggrandizing self-insertion.

Between what he posts here and multiple times daily on various alumni pages, he routinely crosses the line between simply trying to hold the BOD accountable, and doing anything and everything to personally burn down the organization and tear down whoever gets remotely in the way. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

There is a lot going on in this thread. Competing egos, competing gripes, competing topics. I’m so glad Mr. Royer is not around to witness this. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, HockeyDad said:

There is a lot going on in this thread. Competing egos, competing gripes, competing topics. I’m so glad Mr. Royer is not around to witness this. 

was thinking the same thing. this thread and the last 10+ months of the SCV saga has been very sad to follow. 

• Like 2