Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

4 minutes ago, LoveKathyG said:

There’s no point in not accepting this as good news, unless you have other motives.   

We have a winner here.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Mello Dude said:

How about giving them a chance before the nonsense here?

How does that saying go?  Fool me seven times, shame on you - fool me eight, shame on me?

You are preaching to the wrong person here.  Skepticism notwithstanding, I will give SCV an infinite number of chances.  But if we really want a 2024 SCV, they need to take one of those chances by the end of this month.  DCI and DOJ will not be satisfied with vacuous press releases.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, C.Holland said:

they had a decade of chances.  and they continuously blew it. 

but what's worse, is that many students are owed money.  and even before that debacle there are many students who were monetized to fund what was left before this collapse.  

cmon man.   they made the statement about honesty and transparency, and done much to exemplify these ideas.  

this is the bad ex, that needs rehab, but instead comes to live off of you. 

That analogy is awful. 

In announcing they intend to field a corps in 2024 what would you rather they say?  Would you be happier if the announcement was "we are folding and never coming back"?  Sounds like you don't trust them, but let's see how many kids do and I'm glad there will be an opportunity for them to decide that.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I want to know where is DCI in all of this? They should stand up to SCV and say. Hold your horses. I wouldn’t trust a corps that was declared delinquent 2 times less than a month ago. Also last year all signs pointed to SCV competing and then after making money off of auditions, they said “welp, we aren’t competing”

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DSpruce said:

Excusse me? What are you talking about decades? I think they have a justification about refund policy and agree to hold the org accountable for consistency. Beyond that what???

The corps had been an organizational mess for decades. It caught up with them, and the board spent a year either gaslighting, or being silent. Despite the offhand comment about "transparency and honesty," they've done nothing to put those words into action... yet.

So no, they don't get the benefit of the doubt. They have to spend a year with a million judgmental eyes on them second guessing everything they do and holding them accountable. 

The issues in the org flourished and grew in the dark, so better that they have proactive oversight at this juncture. 

Edited by MarimbaManiac
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, LoveKathyG said:

There’s no point in not accepting this as good news, unless you have other motives.   

I dunno what “other motives” means. I think wanting SCV to succeed responsibly is a perfectly valid reason to be skeptical of a quick recovery with questions left unanswered. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MarimbaManiac said:

The corps had been an organizational mess for decades. It caught up with them, and the board spent a year either gaslighting, or being silent. Despite the offhand comment about "transparency and honesty," they've done nothing to put those words into action... yet.

So no, they don't get the benefit of the doubt. They have to spend a year with a million judgmental eyes on them second guessing everything they do and holding them accountable. 

The issues in the org flourished and grew in the dark, so better that they have proactive oversight at this juncture. 

^ this

• Like 2

So, I don't have a dog in this hunt, but as an outside observer, it would seem to me that the one missing piece might be an official statement coming from DCI.  If I recall,  there were official statements issued by DCI after the decisions on Cadets, Pioneer,  Spirit,  etc.  Perhaps where this all came out today  and it is now the weekend, we might have to wait til Monday for a press release of some kind from DCI.  It would seem that is where we might learn about restrictions, limitations, and so on. I would be surprised if there were not some sort of conditions imposed on SCV in order for them to be approved for tour.

Edited by craiga
Grammar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

I think for the future of the activity, ALL corps should have proactive 3rd party oversight. Corps training and policing themselves was never and will never, be a good plan IMO. Proactive proves out to be FAR batter than reactive in almost all circumstances.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2