Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

It's going to come down to Brass. To wit:

1) The Visual Design is going to be a championship contender (Michael Gaines)
2) The Percussion will be Sanford worthy (The Rennicks)
3) The Color Guard will be in the mix (Danial Riley at the helm for over 10 years)

That leaves Brass, and the Vis Team that will be teaching them to march. The VanDoren Family will finally get their coming-out party! I'm very excited about their team's potential. I know the Asst. Vis Caption Manager (Taylor Trevino); he is all about SCV in all the right ways. Straight/Bent leg...don't know, don't care.

Thus, I'm not worried.

Except...

Will the talent show up in the hornline? Every corps depends on veterans for continued success. SCV will probably have 90% rookies. That means they'll have to make up for it with older, and/or more-experienced-elsewhere members to pick up the slack. I'm not confident in that type of member choosing SCV right now. I expect a massive number of hornline members from the TX area (duh, brass team); any West Coaster has two other viable options in BD and Mandarins.

3 hours ago, Bruckner8 said:

It's going to come down to Brass. To wit:

1) The Visual Design is going to be a championship contender (Michael Gaines)
2) The Percussion will be Sanford worthy (The Rennicks)
3) The Color Guard will be in the mix (Danial Riley at the helm for over 10 years)

Someone asked on Facebook "with the return of SCV in 2024, who would place 2nd in percussion".  I thought it was rather funny. 😂  

Edited by keystone3ply
Cx
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bob984 said:

I am not at all defending SCV's actions last year involving the audition camp held and then the corps declaring no season the following week.  I simply pointed out that the returning of funds was/is a grey area from a legal outlook.  Auditions did happen, feedback was given, instruction happened, the kids were housed, they were fed.  However, I also agree that there certainly would be an argument that kids were deceived, because they were paying to audition to be a part of a touring competitive drum corps, and the corps did not follow through with that at all.  (not justifying it, but there have been many a corps that was practicing even well into the Spring, who then decided to not come out....ALWAYS a bad scene).  I agree that the corps should've made every effort to try to reimburse kids (or offer the audition free of charge this year as an elective alternative).  Also agreed that they had better get their fiscal house (and all process involving that) in order, and be transparent from here out.

So what point are you making here?

As for the audition fees the organization received for the 2023 season. Did those fees go to cover the salaries of the bingo workers? Was VMAPA behind in paying those salaries and ran the camp knowing they were not fielding a corps to keep bingo operation staffed?

Granted, this is only speculation, but based on preceding discussions I wouldn’t be shocked if this was proven to be true.

Those who paid to participate in 2023 should receive a refund for a portion of those fees. 

Edited by Sutasaurus

52 minutes ago, Bruckner8 said:

IThat leaves Brass….will the talent show up in the hornline? Every corps depends on veterans for continued success. SCV will probably have 90% rookies. That means they'll have to make up for it with older, and/or more-experienced-elsewhere members to pick up the slack. I'm not confident in that type of member choosing SCV right now. 

Sounds reminiscent of when you & I got our brass start at SCV in ‘84; that worked out well. 

• Like 1

Popping in to share that I understand partial refunds were indeed made and communications were maintained with contracted members and that the org showed dci all their financial business and status in order to get the green light. I’m not the original source for this info it is third hand, weigh it with that in mind.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DSpruce said:

Also to the argument that all information flow should be absolutely publicly accessible, I think that’s conflating ideal from a particular point of view with acceptable and common and realistic.

point-of-view-star-wars.gif

• Like 3