Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

Just now, IllianaLancerContra said:

I will say I’m kind of impressed that this thread lasted long enough without a moderator shutdown that we can discuss this latest development without having to open a new thread. 

Indeed.  This thread might outlast the comment section of that newspaper article.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I will say I’m kind of impressed that this thread lasted long enough without a moderator shutdown that we can discuss this latest development without having to open a new thread. 

I get the feeling it's on Life Support. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

Oh, look who the main source of information is in the article.

Well of course.  I mean. He literally said at one point going public re: Bingo was his next step.

• Like 6

I found the highlighted snippet from the article interesting:

"California law states that only certain organizations are allowed to operate bingo games (CA Penal Code Sections 326.3 and 326.5) – most specifically ones that are considered tax-exempt under federal law. By not maintaining its charitable designation, Vanguard may be in violation.

What’s more, there are strict laws governing how the funds from bingo are spent. Specifically, that money only be distributed to certain parties and that does not include bingo employees.

Vanguard bingo pays its bingo staff. Lesher says that in the past, the money from membership dues and donations was used to offset the employee costs, keeping Vanguard compliant. However, without those two revenue streams, Lesher believes that Vanguard’s continued operation of bingo has placed it in violation of state law.

Vanguard’s management has been in upheaval over the past few years, with several changeovers in leadership. Most recently, on Sept. 8, Russell Gavin was announced as the new CEO of Vanguard.

He talked to The Weekly about Lesher’s comments. Gavin says that the State’s website is not up to date. He admits that Vanguard is not considered a charity in good standing at the moment but says “delinquent” is not an accurate depiction of the current status. Gavin says the state recognizes that the organization is taking steps to return to compliance and the organization’s status with the state is considered in process.

He also says that he has been “assured” by Vanguard’s lawyers that all the bingo operations are compliant with state law."

___

A few thoughts:

1. The new CEO admits directly in the article SCV is not a "charity in good standing."

2. Taking steps to "return to compliance" is NOT the same thing as being compliant.

3. Being "assured" by lawyers is meaningless. Either they are compliant or they are not.

4. For sake of argument, let's say all the negatives said about Lesher by commenters here and on the website where the article was published are true. That is all irrelevant. Either Lesher's accusations are true, or they aren't. His motivations are irrelevant in a strict true/false sense.  It IS possible to tell mostly truth but the part not told makes a huge difference. Time will tell which is the case.

Edited by wolfgang
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

Oh, look who the main source of information is in the article.

Are we gonna shoot the messenger?  That’s exactly what S-Ghost says happens to people who step forward.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2