Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

6 hours ago, dcifanforlife said:

The issue is Santa Clara Vanguard 2024 not the past.  If some posters on here stopped reading Redit and did some research on Russ Gavin, you would find that he.  1) Marched Drum Corps. 2) Was successful Music Educator at both the high school and university level. 3)  Took over the Stanford Band at a time when it was the laughingstock of the college marching band scene and close to being shut down permantly.     He faced membership health and safety issues within the band that were compounded by the fact that he was dealing with adults. He solved all the problems that came up and the Stanford Band is a respect member of the college marching community today. 4) Was a Corps Director for eight years and the corps made DCI finals seven of those eight years.  5)  Was the first corps director to have a Trans member in the corps. The policies and procedures that he implemented to protect that member on tour are still used by many corps today.  Protecting Gay, Lesbian and Trans members is an important part of drum corps and marching bands.

Let's give Russ a chance to solve the problems at SCV.

i don't recall a majority of posters wanting anything but success for SCV in 2024 and beyond. if however voicing concerns given the financial issues and clearly started guidelines set by CA not being met gets some people too butt hurt, well, sorry.

if you think this is bad, go revist any Cadets threads in any year before 2023. or madison for probably a decade now

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Wake up babe, the latest Vanguard Voice dropped:

https://www.reddit.com/r/drumcorps/s/Gb14afaWcR

sounds like progress, while slow, may be being made

15 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Now I understand what VMAPA meant by "transparency".  Transparent, as in "nothing to see here".

We have a non-zero number of auditioners, we're working on money things, and it's totally not our fault that it has taken this long because reasons, but we're totally going to get it done at some point. BTW, new uniforms woo!

Edited by MarimbaManiac
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m really convinced people just come here to complain because they don’t hear the answers they want to hear. No matter what SCV says or doesn’t say people start flinging #### lol over this forum because it’s not what they want to hear.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, gbass598 said:

I’m really convinced people just come here to complain because they don’t hear the answers they want to hear. No matter what SCV says or doesn’t say people start flinging #### lol over this forum because it’s not what they want to hear.

We don't hear answers period. What new information was given there that wasn't just a vague PR statement?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MarimbaManiac said:

We have a non-zero number of auditioners, we're working on money things, and it's totally not our fault that it has taken this long because reasons, but we're totally going to get it done at some point. BTW, new uniforms woo!

Russ is trying to put the best face forward on VMAPA but reciting the tale of woe from 2019-2022 and up to 2023 isn’t helping his cause.

I read that paragraph and thought  “Why the mass exodus”? What was going on with the organization that multiple staff/admin/ board members decided to jump ship while the ones who stayed on let VMAPA go to hell in a handbasket? Was it a case of not wanting to be liable for what was coming down the pike from both the financials and member safety? 

To me this letter raises more questions than paint a rosy picture. For Russ’ sake, and the sake of VMAPA I hope he’s given the latitude to turn things around but you have to keep in mind he is surrounded by the people who let this happen in the first place!

Godspeed Russ Gavin.

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 4