Pre-2024 Top 12 Guesses

3 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

I want to hear a rationale before I say anything against it. 

Former corps person here - it's great value for the corps.  Adding extra performances is absolutely brilliant and essential, especially as the costs don't go up dramatically from staying in place the extra day.  Right now Open Class gets the best deal of all; we were guaranteed three performances that week at OC Prelims, OC Finals and WC Prelims.  Half the OC corps got a fourth performance at WC Semis.  That is awesome bang for the budgeted buck.  All of WC not in Finals gets either one or two shows.  Especially for corps coming from either coast, that's a ton of expenses for what is less payoff.

It's a good deal for members - the majority of corps stay through the Saturday regardless, and performing on the weekend show date allows more friends and family to come through the turnstiles.  

Also, it's also great value for those fans on site - the majority of attendees don't arrive until Friday or Saturday, and don't get to see the full lineup.  This would let the half of WC corps that never get to see the 20k-sized crowd actually play for a packed house.  

Finally, it's great value for non-attending fans; a longer San Antonio-style show lets FloMarching broadcast a full day to the streaming audience, which dwarfs the in-person crowd.  More corps = more eyeballs purchasing the subscription to watch the stream, staying around longer throughout the day, and consuming more ads.  

Top 12 as a show is an arbitrary number for any competition, and we're moving far beyond it.  Providing value for the corps, the members, the attendees and the streaming audience far outweighs the historical precedent, I think.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, fighterkit said:

The moment BAC wins DCP will shut down for good

no. it survived, Bloo, Crown, Cadets 11, Phantom 08, some controversial BD wins ( 15 especially)...it'll be fine

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, lawdn said:

Great, now someone wants to decrease the number of finalists to 8 instead of increasing to 15! 😂 

Let's just take the average and round up the decimal and allow 12.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, TOC said:

Maybe if they're the first corps to earn a four peat. 

Mandarins have a fourpeat. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, corps8294 said:

It was mentioned that a lot of SCVC and Gold members were in the Mandarins.

Yep, but for many years now. I talked to a Mandarin at Stanford in 2018. He was in Vanguard Cadets for a few years and said that almost no one from Vanguard Cadets made Vanguard, so most went to other corps.

1 minute ago, Vuitton said:

Yep, but for many years now. I talked to a Mandarin at Stanford in 2018. He was in Vanguard Cadets for a few years and said that almost no one from Vanguard Cadets made Vanguard, so most went to other corps.

I had forgotten about Stanford until now. What a venue. That box is insane

• Like 1