19 Sep SCV Meeting Summary on Reddit

30 minutes ago, GBugler said:

SVOG is a non-starter. Per SBA: "Notice: As of August 20, 2021, SVOG is no longer accepting new applications" 

If my math is correct, this application deadline was before the start of the 2022 season.  I know we are talking government programs here, but is there really a 2+ year backlog?  I’d like to think this is the case, but considering all the obfuscation & shenanigans over the last years I don’t know what to believe.  

17 minutes ago, wolfgang said:

Do they get souvie sales revenue if they are a non-profit entity in a state of non-compliance with the State of CA? Just asking what they are and are not allowed to collect if they are not technically shown as compliant with all state regulations?

Sales are not donations so I assume they can profit on merchandise. 

8 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

If my math is correct, this application deadline was before the start of the 2022 season.  I know we are talking government programs here, but is there really a 2+ year backlog?  I’d like to think this is the case, but considering all the obfuscation & shenanigans over the last years I don’t know what to believe.  

Any government grant program (especially related to COVID) will be heavily backlogged, as well as heavily regulated. I currently work with HUD grants for low-income housing projects, so I can attest to this. There was so much fraud associated with COVID relief programs it staggers the mind. Do we know if any other DCI corps applied for COVID relief through this program to help cover COVID-related losses? Seems like a no-brainer, but so does timely non-profit paperwork filing. Also from the sba.gov site: 

• Venue or promoter who received a PPP loan on or after December 27, 2020, will have the SVOG reduced by the PPP loan amount"

So, any PPP forgiveness would likely impact the grant amount they would be eligible for through the Shuttered Venue program, if they even applied.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

They still get souvie sales existing and if they do parades and such can also make more there. Once they are non profit again they can accept the donations. If the model says they can tour financially and not go bankrupt then it's good to go. I'm sure financial analysis have been ran over and over to make sure it's feasible. 

They’re with pepwear. Souvie sales will be dramatically cut after various parties take their cut per contract

38 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

But souvies/merch aren't really money makers, esp since they're going through a 3rd party vendor. You still have to purchase (or the vendor has to purchase) raw materials and spend the money to apply designs. No pro in nonprofit looks at merch as a money maker. It should be classified as free marketing on the bodies of those who purchase merch.

While yes, but with a caveat. Most corps through pepwear don’t see it as a big money maker for various reasons. 

But I can speak for other corps and say that they see souvies as a way to get a good amount of money at each show. 
For example, historically Bloo has had some of the best merch sales since 14. 
I want to say that Crown in 22 sold around ~300k of merch. 

So while not exceptionally a lot. Still a good money maker. Especially for the prices corps pay for them

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, GBugler said:

Any government grant program (especially related to COVID) will be heavily backlogged, as well as heavily regulated. I currently work with HUD grants for low-income housing projects, so I can attest to this. There was so much fraud associated with COVID relief programs it staggers the mind. Do we know if any other DCI corps applied for COVID relief through this program to help cover COVID-related losses? Seems like a no-brainer, but so does timely non-profit paperwork filing. Also from the sba.gov site: 

• Venue or promoter who received a PPP loan on or after December 27, 2020, will have the SVOG reduced by the PPP loan amount"

So, any PPP forgiveness would likely impact the grant amount they would be eligible for through the Shuttered Venue program, if they even applied.

Yes other organizations got SVOG money.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, fighterkit said:

While yes, but with a caveat. Most corps through pepwear don’t see it as a big money maker for various reasons. 

But I can speak for other corps and say that they see souvies as a way to get a good amount of money at each show. 
For example, historically Bloo has had some of the best merch sales since 14. 
I want to say that Crown in 22 sold around ~300k of merch. 

So while not exceptionally a lot. Still a good money maker. Especially for the prices corps pay for them

If someone tries telling you that souvies barely make money I always say $1 is better than $0. 300k could be 25% of your yearly costs so id say that's a win when you could be making $0 sitting out. 

• Like 1