Another Abused Member Experience on Reddit

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Didn’t think about the paying part. I was just thinking that if a person is physically with the corps then the corps is responsible for their safety. 

100%... care and responsibility for all involved, paying or not. I guess the paying part for me just adds insult to injury and affirms that they're customers paying for an experience that failed.

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

As for the second part of my post I had to change it after rereading the reddit post. But what you responded with I agree 100%

I see that now. Yes. No words.

• Like 1

I was reading a post on the sub Reddit by the OP about how helpless he felt in the week between being cut and going home, how he felt isolated from staff and others, and how he felt that he didn’t deserve the resources afforded to abused members.

He talked about how his tour experience was to be be threatened of being cut, told to work harder, then more threats of being cut, work harder, and so on until he was finally cut …  and then the post was deleted.

I am stunned at how absolutely horrific this young man’s experience was. It was obvious to me that he has been emotionally abused.

He felt he didn’t deserve resources …

The corps failed him, and may God have mercy on all those who contributed to this inexcusable lack of human decency.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, scheherazadesghost said:

100%... care and responsibility for all involved, paying or not. I guess the paying part for me just adds insult to injury and affirms that they're customers paying for an experience that failed.

I get that it is a competitive activity and all, but the way the activity can treat some people when things don't work out, even when there is no abuse involved, can be pretty distant from the overall ideal of being an educational opportunity for youth first and foremost. Especially when kids are paying several grand for the privilege. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Didn’t think about the paying part. I was just thinking that if a person is physically with the corps then the corps is responsible for their safety. 

As for the second part of my post I had to change it after rereading the reddit post. But what you responded with I agree 100%

I interpreted it as they had permanently stopped being on the field w/ Corps, but hadn’t gone home yet for logistical reasons (no near airport or something like that).   But I could be completely wrong 

• Like 1

I was curious what Cascades policies & procedures look like in light of this thread.  They do have all of their policies & procedures available online for review (sort of):

https://www.seattlecascades.org/downloads

The "Youth Protection Policy" is linked to the "Physical Safety Guidelines", which is somewhat problematic.  That could be a simple webmaster error, but it should have been caught before now.  

Beyond that, the "Member Handbook" clearly lists caption heads as a position that you could report issues to.  If the caption head didn't handle that report properly, that points to a pretty clear issue with the way reporting/training was handled within the organization.

Also have to add that there were other issues brought to light two months ago regarding the Cascades.  They're buried in the comments on this post on reddit:

• Sad 3

15 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Was going to say unbelievable but it is believable…. Question I have for management is 1) haven’t you “gotten” the idea to stop dangerous things happening to the members 2) don’t you care 3) as long as the corps is successful the rest doesn’t matter. 🤮

The seat mate mentioned also needs help that should have been addressed during the season.

Years back a co-workers daughter had to drop out due to asthma issues. I mentioned it on DCP at the time and a member of that corps said “well she wasn’t <corps name> material anyway” as if physical issues make you “not worthy”. That’s pales next to this ####.

That "sickens me".  I have been asthmatic since I was 2 years old.  I never "advertised it" to folks, but my director knew....and I marched in 1977 and 1978.  I can say that he was incredibly supportive/understsanding......ironically, I also really struggled in Denver, and sometimes waited to go outside with the corps, and nobody gave me any problems when the word got out.   It's sad that leadership in 1977-78, at least in my case, did things the right way, and now it's 2023, and there are a..holes in both leadership/staff and also members who don't have a clue......in contrast, I remember one night in Denver.....I woke up with an asthma attack at 3AM....the director found me in the men's room, sitting on a counter and struggling, as I had just taken my medicine.....he offered to stay there with me, and I said, "no, I'll be alright".  He came back an hour later to check up on me, and I told him I was getting better, and I went back to my sleeping bag about 15 min. later.  The next morning, I was in my sleeping bag (and had already decided I needed rest more than breakfast, so I was sleeping to the last minute).  Somebody started to yell at me to "get moving", the director saw him, and sternly told the member, "hey.....leave him ALONE"....and he came over and quietly asked how I was doing.  A few minutes later I got up, took a quick shower and brushed my teeth, and I was on the practice field right on time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, AlexL said:

I get that it is a competitive activity and all, but the way the activity can treat some people when things don't work out, even when there is no abuse involved, can be pretty distant from the overall ideal of being an educational opportunity for youth first and foremost. Especially when kids are paying several grand for the privilege. 

sad to think this, but it's so spot on

• Like 1

Are there general guidelines from DCI on separating an adult member while on tour? 

Are there general guidelines from DCI on separating an underage member while on tour?

Staff?

Volunteers? 

What's the Standard Operating Procedure? If there's not any, could there be? This is the second example I've heard of a member being "cut" on tour. Seems like corps don't know how to do it, because of the 2 I've heard about, 0% of them did it "correctly" or "respectfully".

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NewToPosting said:

Are there general guidelines from DCI on separating an adult member while on tour? 

Are there general guidelines from DCI on separating an underage member while on tour?

Staff?

Volunteers? 

What's the Standard Operating Procedure? If there's not any, could there be? This is the second example I've heard of a member being "cut" on tour. Seems like corps don't know how to do it, because of the 2 I've heard about, 0% of them did it "correctly" or "respectfully".

anything DCI has public is found on their site