Cadets Suspend for 2024

1 hour ago, Vuitton said:

This started WAY before the 2016 Bluecoats. This started in the 70s. Corps like 27th Lancers and Bridgemen (and a whole slew of others) went bankrupt trying to win. It's all about winning, and for decades corps had to spend a crap ton of money to win.

DCI would do itself of favor if it implemented policies making props and electronics illegial in the activity, creating a maximum staff number and implimenting a maximum annual spend. These are just ideas and they may be stupid, but something has to be done. 

While you can’t really control how many people work in a corps, you can limit the number of staff badges on tour!  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

So winning means everything to corps like Music city who had a ton of props? You can look at corps like Crossmen and Madison who had scaled down props that I do not believe needed an extra truck. I think corps are smart enough to know when to scale down

You sure?

The Academy prop required 30 people to push it around.  (At one show, it was stuck on the field and would not budge until they upped that to 36 people.)

Blue Knights had a prop that needed to be disassembled/reassembled just to get it in/out of most stadiums.  You always knew they were in the show as soon as you got there, just from the riveting noises coming from behind the end zone.

(Imagine if we had this many people spending this much time on member safety issues, instead of prop management.)

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

So I guess all of the potential 2024 Cadets are going to the Mandarins?  Too soon? Sorry... 

Q: Do the corps' CEOs or EDs have any kind of business background? Or do they just operate with their 'heart' with their drum corps background?  I just don't understand... 

I highly doubt that, especially after what my son and his fellow Cadets are seeing/reading from the some of the Mandarins members.  I'll just leave it at that.  

Edited by DAYGO

5 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Any and all costs are the issue.  I have no idea why you think name calling will help the discussion.

So the word dino gives great offense? 

All I am saying that when all cost is the issue, making the smallest line item the focus maybe has some agenda behind it.

1 minute ago, cixelsyd said:

(Imagine if we had this many people spending this much time on member safety issues, instead of prop management.)

Speaking of safety…. I wonder how many times these props are assembled/disassembled over the course of a season. Shows, practice, run through of putting together/taken apart. Has to be a point where metal fatigue and screw holes wearing down come into play.

And never did get a good answer how corps ensure the props are put together safely EVERY time. Having people with expertise to design is fine but after that 🤷🏻

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DAYGO said:

I highly doubt that, especially after what my son and his fellow Cadets are seeing/reading from the some of the Mandarins members.  

The Mandarin comment was "tongue-in-cheek" based on the SCV to Mandarin debate this past season. 😂 

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ContraFart said:

So the word dino gives great offense? 

Well if you meant it as a compliment then i was mistaken 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DAYGO said:

I highly doubt that, especially after what my son and his fellow Cadets are seeing/reading from the some of the Mandarins members.  I'll just leave it at that.  

Ooo boy. That's a can of worms that's going to prompt some question. 

• Haha 1