Cadets Suspend for 2024

4 hours ago, TenHut said:

There are waaay to many people on staff. Frankly, it's ridiculous. 

Yep. Look at how many people dressed up for prom standing behind the back sideline at finals retreat. 30, 40, 50 per corps?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, craiga said:

I don't dispute your figures. There were also more than 60 corps here in eastern Massachusetts.   

However, of the +1500  corps you accurately reference, +1400 never had anything to do with DCI, national tours, electronics, props, huge staffs, or having 15 unit convoys.  They simply went away because they DID NOT HAVE ADEQUATE REVENUE...even then.

Also, as many have noted, many fell victim to changes in society, just as Catholic churches, Grange halls, boy scouts, and most other neighborhood activities. 

Look, I'm now in my 60s, and there is nothing I would love more than to transport myself back to attending the World Open in Lynn, MA in 1979 and see 60 "local corps" over two days.  It's just not going to happen and DCI had nothing to do with it.

DCI forced all of the local circuits out.  DCI became the only game in town. Lack of competition kills, and DCI eliminating competition ended up having the opposite effect that it hoped for. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hockeycaps said:

Just wanted to post my 2-cents worth after viewing the last 50+ pages on this thread. I thought this thread was about the Cadets going inactive for the 2024 season?? 95% of what I read is people b****ing back and forth about props, uniforms, buses, touring, staff, etc and their effects on this activity. Nothing to do about the Cadets going inactive for 2024. We should be posting about how sad it is that we have lost another "family" member.  None of you, I assume, are on the Cadets Board or staff (or any corps for that matter) and have inside information to back up your "expertise" about the demise of the Cadets and the activity as a whole. In my opinion arguing and being nasty towards each other (and some of you have been quite nasty) here on DCP will not solve this problem. What I've read here is not healthy and not going to solve the issues facing this activity. Let's get back to talking about the Cadets!!   

Relax. It's a message board. No one is forcing you to read the posts you don't like. 

• Thanks 1

Haven't read this whole thread, so this might have been mentioned already... but the Cadets losing that USBands revenue stream could not have been helpful. 

I know... Captain Obvious here. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TenHut said:

DCI forced all of the local circuits out.  DCI became the only game in town. Lack of competition kills, and DCI eliminating competition ended up having the opposite effect that it hoped for. 

DCI had absolutely nothing to do with the demise of local corps in eastern Massachusetts.  Organizations that supported local corps simply did not want to support them any more. It is a fallacy to believe otherwise.  Amvets, VFW, American Legion, churches just let corps fizzle out.  Contributing to that was the growth of many many other things kids wanted to do. Sports expansion was a huge alternative to local corps. Many more participatory opportunities for many more kids.  135 corps in eastern Mass. in the early 70’s.  Gone by the 90’s and it wasn’t DCI that did it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

DCI had absolutely nothing to do with the demise of local corps in eastern Massachusetts.  Organizations that supported local corps simply did not want to support them any more. It is a fallacy to believe otherwise.  Amvets, VFW, American Legion, churches just let corps fizzle out.  Contributing to that was the growth of many many other things kids wanted to do. Sports expansion was a huge alternative to local corps. Many more participatory opportunities for many more kids.  135 corps in eastern Mass. in the early 70’s.  Gone by the 90’s and it wasn’t DCI that did it.

Yep. My local-circuit junior corps from NJ, 1970s, our director wanted nothing to do with DCI. The corps survived through the 1980 season before disbanding. And DCI was not to blame. The corps simply ran out of money and members. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Haven't read this whole thread, so this might have been mentioned already... but the Cadets losing that USBands revenue stream could not have been helpful. 

I know... Captain Obvious here. 

Yes. I said that same thing on one of the FB groups. Great minds and all that!  👍

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Also contributing was that AL, VFW and city churches were on the decline. Just couldn’t afford to sponsor like they used to and lot of Posts and churches closed nationwide 

• Like 3