Cadets Suspend for 2024

6 hours ago, RiverCityAndTroopersFan said:

Yes

shrink the tour.

DCI has. it's now basically 6 weeks.

spring training hasn't shrunk and in a few cases got longer

3 hours ago, ContraFart said:

Does a regional tour, say in the southeast actually save gas? The distance between Genesis and Crown is longer than Heat Wave to Boston

Yeah, its easy to say "do a regional tour" but aside from the midwest corps the logistics of that gets tough. 

• Like 1

On 10/15/2023 at 7:43 PM, TenHut said:

Relax. It's a message board. No one is forcing you to read the posts you don't like. 

Figured I get one of you armchair experts to make some comment that completely ignores what my posting had to say. The gist of my posting was that this thread was meant to discuss the sad situation with the Cadets in 2024. Not to debate what may have caused it or what has caused the demise of the activity. If you want to discuss those topics, then start a new thread so those of that want to mourn the loss of another "family" member may do so without all of you so called experts bickering back and forth as to who or what is right and who or what is wrong. I'm sure none of you were in the "room" when the decision was made so I really doubt that you have the facts as to why the decision was made. The fact is they will not be fielding a corps in 2024 so let's dedicate out time remembering the 90 years of their history and pray that we see them back in 2025. Have a wonderful night everyone!!

• Like 2

On 10/15/2023 at 4:58 PM, JimF-LowBari said:

Late 70s Crossmen had buses that had “seen better days”. 😱 One was called the Hindenburg. No idea which one it was but bus #1 burned a lot of engine oil. You could tell because the front corner of bus #2 was black from the oil smoke. 😨😨

This actually made me laugh out loud!  Oh, the good old days.  VK had some old buses from the late 50's?  One was called Silver sides and once inside you felt like you were headed toward a dark goth underworld  

3 hours ago, AlexL said:

Yeah, its easy to say "do a regional tour" but aside from the midwest corps the logistics of that gets tough. 

To do regional tour you need regional shows.  To host a show you need to be a dci event partner. So they can oversee the tour stop you’re providing them.  You as a show sponsor need to gamble your money hoping you can break even and sell a whole lot of concessions. 

13 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

But don’t the Corps pay $ to fly them in and out over summer?   That has gotta add up too. 

Flights can be cheap if you buy them early. Or stick them on spirit. 

5 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

To do regional tour you need regional shows.  To host a show you need to be a dci event partner. So they can oversee the tour stop you’re providing them.  You as a show sponsor need to gamble your money hoping you can break even and sell a whole lot of concessions. 

Plus you need a critical mass of corps. This might work in the Midwest and California, but every other region be ######. 

15 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

DCI was formed by the richest/most ambitious corps, to serve the richest/most ambitious corps.  

News to me we ever had money.  DCI was formed to cut the American Legion & VFW out of the gate receipts and to give lower tier corps some money when they were getting nothing to appear. 

1 hour ago, C.Holland said:

and DCI pushed several tour event partners out

• Like 4