A follow up message from CA&E's Board Chairperson

FYI: Cadets merchandise store seems to be still operating great right now. I just stocked up on some exercise clothing. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fsthnds said:

2022 was a financial disaster that almost resulted in Cadets not making it to Indy. 2023 was a continuation of the problem financially.

there was a ton of stories after 2022 about transportation issues....and that tied in to the removal of Aungst and then Denise leaving. but now it seems they got bills they weren't expecting which makes me wonder what in the hell happened, especially with the CEo leaving and rumors of others also now out. i hate to think the worst, but,...well...

on the other hand, this is probably the most transparent statement i've seen from a drum corps in a long time. So props for that

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

on the other hand, this is probably the most transparent statement i've seen from a drum corps in a long time. So props for that

Someone learned the lesson after the cluster with a few other corps. Hate they wouldn’t be out in 2023 but good to see a statement basically saying “we weren’t perfect and now have to take our lumps”.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

there was a ton of stories after 2022 about transportation issues....and that tied in to the removal of Aungst and then Denise leaving. but now it seems they got bills they weren't expecting which makes me wonder what in the hell happened, especially with the CEo leaving and rumors of others also now out. i hate to think the worst, but,...well...

Thanks Jeff.  Your information is incorrect.  Our transportation challenges were with a bad bus company, which we chose to replace and reallocate those funds for a new one at championship week.  This decision had nothing to do with anyone leaving, in fact Denise spearheaded the removal of the bus company and replacement.  

Rumors are just that. Rumors.  If you have questions, ask us/me.  We will continue to be as transparent as we can, knowing that we speak as one BOD.  Thanks for the compliment.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

6 hours ago, Richard Lesher said:

What is true for every industry, when economic conditions become unfavorable, it is the worst run organizations that fail first.

However one wants to rationalize it, however one wants to analyze it, the worst run ones are taken down by the laws of economics first. Whatever it is they are doing in terms of operation practices or business culture simply led to the wrong outcome.

Many will spew out what should have been done right, and arguments will fly back and forth, but all we know is that the boards and leaderships of these organizations have only proved one of the many wrongs ways to do things. They have not shown what right yet is.

So here we are again, just like the 80’s and SCV and Cadets are neck and neck jockeying for that honor.

Now……………

DCI is the “Indy Car 500” of the performing arts activity.

When I was marching there were 80+ corps of all sizes and divisions. What was called Open is now World, and what is now called Open was split between A-90 and A-60.

WGI didn’t exist back in “my day”. 10 years ago WGI didn’t even have as many different activities (now they have indoor winds).

WGI is the “NASCAR” of the performing arts activity.

That’s not to say Drum Corps will go entirely extinct. Somewhere out there is a horse and carriage business still making products for the Amish. When the automobile changed the environment the worst run business failed first, and those that didn’t change over production away from a horse related focus eventually fell themselves regardless of how well they were run. There are of course exceptions and the hold outs for the Amish still had a market.

What I do know is the last Drum Corps standing is probably going to have a Blue themed uniform.

So long as schools and their marching bands close up for the summers , there will always be parents and their kids that will want to continue marching and receive instruction in the summers after the band room closes up  for the summer . That service will be filled whether it’s DCI or it’s replacement organization . That’s how I see it anyway .. 

6 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

So long as schools and their marching bands close up for the summers , there will always be parents and their kids that will want to continue marching and receive instruction in the summers after the band room closes up  for the summer . That service will be filled whether it’s DCI or it’s replacement organization . That’s how I see it anyway .. 

I don't think the desire for summer marching band is strong enough that something else will necessarily fill the niche if DCI dies. We're talking about an activity with what, 5000 kids currently? A good portion of those are college students making tremendous sacrifices to do this particular version of competitive summer marching band. If the experience is lessened there will be even less demand.

It's not like sports where you have the chance of going pro or getting a scholarship. 

• Like 1