A follow up message from CA&E's Board Chairperson

5 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I find it very disturbing.  Next thing you know, they’ll be working at Scores to get tuition money.  

well there was that...uh....film "star" with For Holy Name....." tattooed down her side. unsure if she learned those skills on tour or not

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Well that stings.

Plenty of other non soloists in my cohort continued with careers in the activity. Were they also delusional but, idk, lucky? Had more grit or some such other personal quality that I lacked? I doubt it.

And what does it say of an activity that feeds on such "delusions" intentionally or not? We get back to the predatory nature of some arts institutions if that's the case.

Remember people go into many things with delusion and unrealistic expectations or a lot of luck or not so much. 

Didn't mean it to sting at all. I bet there are many things you can say you got from all those people and did. They are among the best of the best. Also not saying you lacked anything. Maybe it is all just luck. I have looked at myself over the decades and wondered why some young 20 something hasn't knocked me out of the activity, even looked for it at times..lol.. Maybe all just luck, maybe just learned to play the game ( like in many things ). Whatever it is I have always been or hoped to be the person who looks forward and not back. Many people consider themselves drum corps purists NOT ME,...lol...as long as my family goes back in the activity  and most all purists I have never been and for me ( only me ) it has worked for me in the DCI and WGI arena as well as the bando world.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Remember people go into many things with delusion and unrealistic expectations or a lot of luck or not so much. 

Didn't mean it to sting at all. I bet there are many things you can say you got from all those people and did. They are among the best of the best. Also not saying you lacked anything. Maybe it is all just luck. I have looked at myself over the decades and wondered why some young 20 something hasn't knocked me out of the activity, even looked for it at times..lol.. Maybe all just luck, maybe just learned to play the game ( like in many things ). Whatever it is I have always been or hoped to be the person who looks forward and not back. Many people consider themselves drum corps purists NOT ME,...lol...as long as my family goes back in the activity  and most all purists I have never been and for me ( only me ) it has worked for me in the DCI and WGI arena as well as the bando world.

We don't know each other so I can't speak to your skill all that much. Our convos have always intrigued me and I think we agree much about what a good guard teacher is.

But one big difference between us the pedigree thing I mentioned earlier. It's big in guard and it's big in dance. Without it, we outsiders face a nearly insurmountable battle. And, of course, I'd argue the activity misses out on a lot of potential growth for the positive.

If the activity had more clear pipelining, as I've mentioned so many times here, this would be less of a problem. But I guess it's not a problem for those who keep getting the work and feeding in more from their own cohorts.

Another difference, between us, I think, is I'm a whistleblower and I call people out when they f up. People are more interested in saving face than improving in this activity. Not sure that's really the place for me until that changes a bit more.

As for what I got from those greats, again, much of the good is overshadowed by the abuse, as is the case for many like me. So, for us, much value is lost.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
typos

56 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

well i learned to be an ######## in drum corps. it's paid off for me professionally

Think you already had the genetics, corps just helped you fine tune it. 😆

Well I learned to deal with people of all different “personalities” 😵‍💫. And not to freak when someone in management tries to jump down your throat. If Templin and Barney T couldn’t scare me then upper management didn’t stand a chance.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

We don't know each other so I can't speak to your skill all that much. Our convos have always intrigued me and I think we agree much about what a good guard teacher is.

But one big difference between us the pedigree thing I mentioned earlier. It's big in guard and it's big in dance. Without it, we outsiders face a nearly insurmountable battle. And, of course, if argue the activity misses out on a lot of potential growth for the positive.

If the activity had more clear pipelining, as I've mentioned so many times here, this would be less of a problem. But I guess it's not a problem for those who keep getting the work and feeding in more from their own cohorts.

Another difference, between us, I think, is I'm a whistleblower and I call people out when the f up. People are more interested in saving face than improving in this activity. Not sure that's really the place for me until that changes a bit more.

As for what I got from those greats, again, much of the good is overshadowed by the abuse, as is the case for many like me. So, for us, much value is lost.

I don't disagree with most if not all of what you say and the differences you point out can be valid and you valid points of abuse with some. AS far as whistleblowers, and Im tryng to be delicate and please do not take this wrong if I don't convey this right, anyone can whistleblowers  on just about any subject with some very important issues. as you have at length brought up and rightfully so. Sadly some whistleblowers  have gotten a bad wrap due to  many things including some in the public eye on TV daily lately only to be proven either wrong or wanting to be on TV or something. Personally I don't get it.

I have always tried in the activity to  have my eyes open and continually learn from others. I think my longevity has a lot to do with that as well as not being a purist and stick myself into some kind of box. OR maybe all just luck. I believe it was always my job to encourage, be honest make a member shine, challenge and ALWAYS make a member feel that I am on their side . Do all do or feel the same? NO, all I can say it worked for me.

So Sorry that your own  good experience was shadowed by what wasn't so good

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Think you already had the genetics, corps just helped you fine tune it. 😆

Well I learned to deal with people of all different “personalities” 😵‍💫. And not to freak when someone in management tries to jump down your throat. If Templin and Barney T couldn’t scare me then upper management didn’t stand a chance.

I learned a lot of what to do and not what to do in 6 seasons about how to educate and how not to educate. How to treat people and how not to. Nuff said.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BigW said:

I learned a lot of what to do and not what to do in 6 seasons about how to educate and how not to educate. How to treat people and how not to. Nuff said.

Oh, and as per some of the previous posts from others, when to die on the hill when something is worth dying for. Especially when something's flat out wrong and inexcusable.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

well i learned to be an ######## in drum corps. it's paid off for me professionally

I thought that came naturally? 😛

• Haha 1