What is wrong with US?

46 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

The top talent in Corps hasn’t changed from BITD, what has changed is the talent level of the weakest players.   The first non-cut member today is a far stronger player than from back then.  

Exactly. So it's not a matter of living in Madison and wanting to march Madison anymore. I'm not saying anyone got in, but many of us that made it into those corps back in the day wouldn't make it today. I think you're saying the same thing.

27 minutes ago, Vuitton said:

Exactly. So it's not a matter of living in Madison and wanting to march Madison anymore. I'm not saying anyone got in, but many of us that made it into those corps back in the day wouldn't make it today. I think you're saying the same thing.

Curious- when you marched what percentage of Madison was from what you would consider from the greater Madison area?

5 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

We had several 12-13 year olds.  After we folded, 3 aged out of 1991 Star, 2 out of 91/2 Cavaliers & one out of 92 BD.  Fair amount of talent in that little Corps.  

In my era, we used to see members of some of the top junior corps kiss their wives and kids when they were getting ready to line up.

🥸

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Vuitton said:

This is all true, but it's definitely a shrinking and more niche activity than it was back in the day. The last time I played soprano/trumpet was 1989 finals. I loved marching and I love the activity. I'm so glad I marched. But, I probably wouldn't today because i would have no hope in getting into a top corps. It wasn't my life, it wasn't my ambition. In my day it was a youth activity and very few continued with careers in the activity or with music, dance, etc... after they left. Today this is different. These are kids who want careers in the arts.

Yes we had people who marched in lower tier corps come to Madison, but the change today is that many of us who marched in top corps in the 80s or 90s wouldn't make it today.

I think that’s true . The most talented kids in marching band that want to try out to march in DCI seemingly only want to march the Top 5 or 6 Corps . There is more than just anecdotal info that marching band kids that don’t make the cut in their tryouts for the top Corps simply choose not to match at all . Some will then audition and then accept an offer to march a lower placing Corps . But many don’t . Several hundred kids each off season audition for the top corps and if they don’t earn a spot just decide not to March . Others will take the offer and march a lower placing Corps a year , then try out again for their “ dream corps “ ( typically one of the top placing ones ) to see if they make it on the 2nd try and with that marching experience . By May Move ins , some of the lower placing and Open Class Corps have numerous openings in just about all sections . 

4 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Curious- when you marched what percentage of Madison was from what you would consider from the greater Madison area?

I marched Garfield from 70-72, and not very many members came from Garfield.  We came from small GSC corps all over north Jersey, plus some from parts of NY. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

I marched Garfield from 70-72, and not very many members came from Garfield.  We came from small GSC corps all over north Jersey, plus some from parts of NY. 

A very good friend of mine marched  in the corps who was actually from Garfield.  She was in the little feeder corps.  I saw a pic of her on Facebook with a rifle that was bigger than her. She was in the three peat corps in the ‘80’s. 

1 hour ago, Boss Anova said:

I think that’s true . The most talented kids in marching band that want to try out to march in DCI seemingly only want to march the Top 5 or 6 Corps . There is more than just anecdotal info that marching band kids that don’t make the cut in their tryouts for the top Corps simply choose not to match at all . Some will then audition and then accept an offer to march a lower placing Corps . But many don’t . Several hundred kids each off season audition for the top corps and if they don’t earn a spot just decide not to March . Others will take the offer and march a lower placing Corps a year , then try out again for their “ dream corps “ ( typically one of the top placing ones ) to see if they make it on the 2nd try and with that marching experience . By May Move ins , some of the lower placing and Open Class Corps have numerous openings in just about all sections . 

Years back I asked why didn’t people who didn’t make their “dream” corps go somewhere else. Top answers were “for the cost, not worth it” and “only have one year I can March (age or money reasons given) so it’s dream corps or nothing”.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2023 at 4:27 PM, Vuitton said:

Really? What middle and high school kids do you know marching. I marched with a world champion corps and I doubt I'd make a top 12 corps today.

I know several high school kids marching in finalist corps.