Where is the love?

I have donated to Cadets in the past. For right now I would donate directly to Cadets rather than Go Fund Me but before I do I’d want to know how much needs to be raised to pay past debts and how much needs to be raised for a 2025 tour.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Exactly. Why donate to GoFundMe when they will take a cut?

Yeah, GFM is a solution for a person or organization that doesn't have e-commerce functionality. Every WC corps is able to take donations directly through their own websites. They have no incentive to promote donations through GFM as the middleman cut is deeper than it is with the e-commerce vendor they're using on their site. For those reasons, and to the OP's question, I see little significance to the numbers registered at GFM so far. 

I'll donate once more information about the plan going forward comes out. I did the bulk of my donation for the year before the season, but depending on the plan I'll probably donate more before the end of the year.

I'll give directly through cadets.org though, not give Go Fund Me part of the money

• Like 3

The way I see it, the GFM was one person's way of doing "something" to help. Probably not the best format for doing so and I personally wouldn't choose that route to give, but he still scores points with me for being part of the solution. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Too many people come off like things should be perfect and forget that, just like with a Presidency, things implemented today can take years to actually show up. 

Stop spouting off like you know every in-and-out that comes out of Cadets.  

Some people choose to donate directly to the corps instead of the GoFundMe link. 

Oh Boy...

Though others have said it already, it bears repeating.  Why donate to a third party via a fourth-party platform like GoFundMe instead of donating directly to the corps?

Ironically, that false alarm only re-confirmed that Cadets are a registered non-profit entity, to which you can make tax-deductible donations directly.

29 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

...Cadets are a registered non-profit entity, to which you can make tax-deductible donations directly.

The Standard Deduction of $13,850 for single filers and $27,700 for married filing separately has nearly eliminated the ability to deduct Charitable Donations. Unless those donations combined with every other Itemized Deductions amount to a greater dollar amount than the SD. 

Is anyone reading this using Itemized versus Standard Deductions and could lend some insight on this??

22 minutes ago, Gantang said:

The Standard Deduction of $13,850 for single filers and $27,700 for married filing separately has nearly eliminated the ability to deduct Charitable Donations. Unless those donations combined with every other Itemized Deductions amount to a greater dollar amount than the SD. 

Is anyone reading this using Itemized versus Standard Deductions and could lend some insight on this??

Most people aren't donating exclusively to lower their taxes

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, dbc03 said:

Most people aren't donating exclusively to lower their taxes

I didn't say they were! Where did you get that idea? 

cixelsyd wrote that "you can make tax-deductible donations directly."  I disputed the ability to use a donation as a tax-deductible donation under the current IRS Code. 

Since you chimed in, do you take the Standard Deduction or Itemize?