The Cadets are being sued by a former member for alleged sexual abuse in the 80s

1 hour ago, FossilChops said:

TL;DR - Lynn Westerfield is suing the Cadets, YEA, and 10 other unnamed defendants over alleged child sexual abuse during the 1982-83 seasons by staff member Steve Vogt.

Docket: https://trellis.law/case/34003/berl005091-20/xxxxxxxxxxxx-xxxx-vs-garfield-cadets

Latest amended complaint: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xYOtf7QFiQjvobE4WhWOWKSJV0UZXuAk/view?usp=drive_link

This lawsuit was filed against the Cadets back on September 1, 2020, so it's been in the works for 3 years now. I'd imagine it's only now coming to light because the Cadets BoD has sat on it for the duration of the pandemic.

Currently, it appears the court has the case set to go to arbitration in December, however there have been motions filed to bring the case before mediation in front of the judge by the plaintiffs and The Cadets. 

This is speculation entirely on my part, but if you want an explanation for why the Cadets are idle for 2024, the enormous legal fees from this case are likely why. 

Curious- what was Steve Vogt’s job w/ Garfield?   Google isn’t being helpful 

Years back told someone that corps are one (legal) “oh <crap>” away from going under. Got told I was a fear monger and hated the activity…. If someone who isn’t part of corps management or even a current corps member can see this coming, why is the activity still run as same old same old, it will never happen to us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I will defer to Scheherazade on this and only say, I hope that this lawsuit helps the person with the healing process. Shame on these corps and DCI for inadequate oversight. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

So would it have been better if Cadets had press release concerning this rather than news coming from links to court docs posted on DCP & Reddit?

Well people keep asking for transparency right? I mean there’s a zillion other rumors flowing all day I just haven’t shared any without confirmation.

but honesty would probably create more goodwill they could use. I’m sure lawyers don’t want it out there but this is public record stuff. And think of how much #### SCV has gotten for 11 months for a lack of honesty. 

im actually amazed it took this long to get posted anywhere because in 18 nothing was official til the newspaper article hit but it was known to be coming for months

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Curious- what was Steve Vogt’s job w/ Garfield?   Google isn’t being helpful 

Staff is what I heard. Unsure what section

• Like 1