The Cadets are being sued by a former member for alleged sexual abuse in the 80s

5 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

That is surprising and proof that this is how bad behavior perpetuates.  If this is true, shame on Crown.

Crown and Boston have both done shady things with passing around staff members with major accusations against them. I WON'T name names, but I've seen the proof. Thankfully said person has pretty much been removed from the activity. Unfortunately it was the drug abuse that caught up with them before the sexual abuse. 

23 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Wow. I had no idea.  

Me either. How did that escape discussion on here? 

If it is true, that certainly changes my outlook on Crown as an organization. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Jimmyjames said:

Crown and Boston have both done shady things with passing around staff members with major accusations against them. I WON'T name names, but I've seen the proof. Thankfully said person has pretty much been removed from the activity. Unfortunately it was the drug abuse that caught up with them before the sexual abuse. 

Don’t make is sound like corps “pass around” bad staffers.  Boston has very quickly dumped anyone found to violate their policies.  Bad actors find other places them selves and until the new place finds out, try to stay under the radar I’m sure. Once they’re discovered,  it is on the “hiding place” corps to remove them quickly.  All corps should do checks on resumes and histories when bringing someone new in.  Hopefully they have a solid and comprehensive background check policy.  If anyone volunteers at Boston for more than 1 day they must fill out doc. to be reviewed and approved to volunteer.

Edited by LabMaster
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

The rescinded Blue Devils contract made it on here but not the Crown contract. I would love to give Crown the benefit of the doubt for maybe not knowing his background 

Edited by Brian Tuma
More info
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Brian Tuma said:

The member behind the Spirit incident comes to mind. Their contract with BD was rescinded for ‘22 but Crown accepted them for ‘23. I find that reminiscent of religious organizations that shuffled abusers about 

and the alleged incident with the Bluecoats in 22 was apparently looked at in the spring of 23, but the student got a BD contract. then when it broke in the summer, boom BD was suddenly short a tenor

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

if it was known to the world at large, it was a secret.

i do feel for corps however when it comes to these kids coming to them.....short of an admission of guilt or legal actions, it's a slippery slope to cut them based on rumors. one parent mad Johnny didnt get his drill dot with a lawyer could cause huge problems

1 hour ago, Brian Tuma said:

The member behind the Spirit incident comes to mind. Their contract with BD was rescinded for ‘22 but Crown accepted them for ‘23. I find that reminiscent of religious organizations that shuffled abusers about 

Wonder if any of this pertains to the current suit against Spirit. How did BD find out and not Crown (if Crown didn’t know). Know it’s a gray area but DCI needs to keep track of staff and members with allegations/proven issues against them.

35 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

The rescinded Blue Devils contract made it on here but not the Crown contract. I would love to give Crown the benefit of the doubt for maybe not knowing his background 

It seems like it always comes down to communication.  It reminds me of when Jim’s Dad sent a staff member with Pride of Cincinnati (the drum corps) packing for being lascivious with the young women in the corps. He took him to the airport and said you’re done.  What he didn’t do was communicate with other corps who hired this guy afterwards.  

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

if it was known to the world at large, it was a secret.

i do feel for corps however when it comes to these kids coming to them.....short of an admission of guilt or legal actions, it's a slippery slope to cut them based on rumors. one parent mad Johnny didnt get his drill dot with a lawyer could cause huge problems

It sounds easy to have a shared database of "problem" members.  But accountability is a real thing (for the entity maintaining the list and for the corps submitting data to the list).   Good ideas are good until you get down to implementation.  Then reality sets in.   Just ask anyone who's written software for the health care industry.   What sort of problems can be reported?  How are they documented?  Who is authorized to see, add or remove MM's from the list?  And most importantly: who's liable if a MM appears on (or is absent from) the list and something bad happens.

As for due diligence (like Lab immediately posted about Boston) -- that's been going on forever (all the way down to the smallest school activity) and quite frankly it's a joke.  Unless someone has been convicted of a serious offense,  they're going to pass right through those checks.  And even in that case,  many offenders successfully get records expunged after doing their obligatory community service.  And we're just talking adults here.  MM's are in general completely in the clear as juvenile records might as well not exist for background checks.  Background checks are mostly CYA theater.  

Edited by karuna