Jacob Collier…

There's only one corps that could pull off the brilliance of Jacob Collier, The Blue Devils.

"Savant" is the perfect word for this guy.  Perfect pitch, nearly perfect arrangements.  BD can handle the close harmonies and "500 line" demands of Collier; few others can only hope to do bubble-gum "fun stuff".  Colliers brilliance is that he makes the incredibly difficult stuff seem like the fun stuff, exactly BD's style.

Of course, for 40 years I've hoped that Phantom would do the entire 12 min Brahms Academic Festival Overture on the field, start to finish.  The full chord volume of PR's richness would make hair stand on end.

Edited by garfield

Jacob Collier's music has Blue Devils and Bluecoats written all over it. I'm a big fan of both corps, so I would love to see either one of them take a hack at it.

• Thanks 1

Any of the top corps could tackle the music just fine imo. They're all just groups of highly talented, mostly college-aged musicians who can all play (or should be able to) any style they need for the performance.

• Like 1

I'm just happy that the poster introduced me to an artist that BLEW ME AWAY..I am obviously late to the game as regards Mr. Collier but his arrangements, along with the TAKE SIX vocals on these two songs, soulfully moved me emotionally...If a corps could reproduce his work that would be fantastic..But if that never happens, I'd just like to thank the poster for a few minutes of bliss..peace

• Thanks 1

On 12/3/2023 at 5:25 PM, garfield said:

There's only one corps that could pull off the brilliance of Jacob Collier, The Blue Devils.

"Savant" is the perfect word for this guy.  Perfect pitch, nearly perfect arrangements.  BD can handle the close harmonies and "500 line" demands of Collier; few others can only hope to do bubble-gum "fun stuff".  Colliers brilliance is that he makes the incredibly difficult stuff seem like the fun stuff, exactly BD's style.

Of course, for 40 years I've hoped that Phantom would do the entire 12 min Brahms Academic Festival Overture on the field, start to finish.  The full chord volume of PR's richness would make hair stand on end.

Nah I think any of the top five could do it.

On 12/4/2023 at 3:18 PM, waliman4444 said:

I'm just happy that the poster introduced me to an artist that BLEW ME AWAY..I am obviously late to the game as regards Mr. Collier but his arrangements, along with the TAKE SIX vocals on these two songs, soulfully moved me emotionally...If a corps could reproduce his work that would be fantastic..But if that never happens, I'd just like to thank the poster for a few minutes of bliss..peace

Thanks for saying this; it means a lot to me to share a uniquely UN common musical passion. So glad it made your day.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, mcjordansc said:

What I like most about his live shows is his use of the audience. 

Yeah those moments are always something.  There's some great sets of Ben Folds Five out there doing this with their audiences.  

• Like 1