DCI Januals 2024

3 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Probably not much different than the oil can quite honestly. Even though Lucas has a 70,000 seating capacity, it has a lot more end zone seating than Memorial Stadium in Bloomington. So, my guess is that there’s not much difference. The acoustics, however……

don't tease me with no echo

• Like 3

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

In the FAQ section from the 2008 article that @Jeff Ream shared, Memorial home or concert side side seats 28,000.  But given that Lucas Oil is an indoor facility, I would think that the turf replacement would run pretty smoothly. The foundation & drainage system is probably in pretty good shape with minimal repairs? Most sites quote a 3-6 week install.  

Our new HS turf system install only took about 8 weeks but that was tearing out the Bermuda grass, top soil, & old drainage system. Then the new concrete rim, barriers, foundation, & drainage had to be installed before the turf.  They also had to dodge thunderstorms in May & June.  

The 2008 relocation was also the new construction which rarely goes as scheduled. So hopefully the 2024 project will mostly be a turf replacement. 🤷‍♂️ But I could also be an idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about. 😁 But I'd rather be in the 'ole oil can.

https://www.dci.org/news/frequently-asked-questions-2008-world-championships-relocated-to-bloomington-ind 

I don't believe there is a drainage system in Lucas Oil despite the fact it has a retractable roof. I remember hearing that during the debate as to why the roof remains closed for DCI in the early years. There has to be less than 10% chance of rain before opening the roof can even be considered.

Also, the turf was replaced before the 2018 season if I remember correctly, so this isn't their first rodeo. Of course that year they didn't have to deal with removing big pools from the floor.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

In the FAQ section from the 2008 article that @Jeff Ream shared, Memorial home or concert side side seats 28,000.  But given that Lucas Oil is an indoor facility, I would think that the turf replacement would run pretty smoothly. The foundation & drainage system is probably in pretty good shape with minimal repairs? Most sites quote a 3-6 week install.  

Our new HS turf system install only took about 8 weeks but that was tearing out the Bermuda grass, top soil, & old drainage system. Then the new concrete rim, barriers, foundation, & drainage had to be installed before the turf.  They also had to dodge thunderstorms in May & June.  

The 2008 relocation was also the new construction which rarely goes as scheduled. So hopefully the 2024 project will mostly be a turf replacement. 🤷‍♂️ But I could also be an idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about. 😁 But I'd rather be in the 'ole oil can.

https://www.dci.org/news/frequently-asked-questions-2008-world-championships-relocated-to-bloomington-ind 

It will probably be done on time but it gives us something to talk about.  Besides tax filings and fun stuff like that. 😬😂

There are no rules proposals either so we can’t ##### about clarinets. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Barneveld said:

Does anyone remember what the month was when DCI moved finals to Bloomington in 2008?

I was in the Cavaliers Anniversary Corps that year. I’m not sure LOS was ever talked about as being a real option. I only remember Bloomington as being the performance site. 

1 hour ago, On the 50 said:

I don't believe there is a drainage system in Lucas Oil despite the fact it has a retractable roof. I remember hearing that during the debate as to why the roof remains closed for DCI in the early years. There has to be less than 10% chance of rain before opening the roof can even be considered.

Also, the turf was replaced before the 2018 season if I remember correctly, so this isn't their first rodeo. Of course that year they didn't have to deal with removing big pools from the floor.

the plus is being in a dome, weather shouldn't be an issue. the minus is how much OT they want to pay for continuous round the clock work being done

• Like 1

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

The old place was much worse.  People would have their horns down and you’d still hear them playing. 

Now it can be done electronically and be innovative.

• Haha 6