DCI Januals 2024

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Ok.  Status quo is broken.  5 years to fix the current system & make it sustainable.  What are you going to do?

1. Regionals: The regionals will be

West: Glendale, AZ. Corps: Any corps west of Colorado (and BK)

Southwest: San Antonio, TX. Corps: Any corps south of Colts, East of Colorado but West of Tennessee . 
Midwest: St Louis, MO. Corps:  Any corps north of Tennessee , south of Canada, and west of Pennsylvania. 
Southeast: Atlanta, GA. Corps: Any corps south of Kentucky, and east of Louisiana. 
Northeast: Syracuse, NY. Corps: Any corps north of Virginia, and east of Ohio. 

2. Regional touring model. 25 shows maximum and 3 shows minimum in each regional. Each corps gets four optional “Non-region” events (cannot be a regional but can be outside of their region, allows for Texas swing to happen). 

3. Selling of rights of names of defunct corps. 

4. Back to regionals, sign deals with the US college system to provide cheap, inexpensive or free housing on college campuses 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Increasing expenses-to-revenue gap is a cancer within Drum Corps.  And cancer NEVER gets better by ignoring it. 

If there was ever an activity less proactive than drum corps, I’d love to know what it is.  They spend a lot of time rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

If there was ever an activity less proactive than drum corps, I’d love to know what it is.  They spend a lot of time rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. 

I wish The Far Side cartoon was still around. They'd have a month's worth of material to work with DCI. Instead of "The Real Reason Dinosaurs Became Extinct" with the dinos lying around smoking cigarettes, it could be The Real Reason DCI Became Extinct with the DCI BOD lying around with their ##############

Edited by MikeD
Filter circumvention
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I wish The Far Side cartoon was still around. They'd have a month's worth of material to work with DCI. Instead of "The Real Reason Dinosaurs Became Extinct" with the dinos lying around smoking cigarettes, it could be The Real Reason DCI Became Extinct with the DCI BOD lying around with their ###########

I’m going to give the new guy the benefit of the doubt and hope that he ignores the trope “We’ve always done it this way”. 

Edited by MikeD
Filter circumvention quote
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I wish The Far Side cartoon was still around. They'd have a month's worth of material to work with DCI. Instead of "The Real Reason Dinosaurs Became Extinct" with the dinos lying around smoking cigarettes, it could be The Real Reason DCI Became Extinct with the DCI BOD lying around with their ###########

Sorry for the wall of text. My drum corps spidey sense is going naynays.

One thing @ironlips generously advised me to do, when I first joined DCP a few years ago, was to do my best to maintain my empathy. Now, I studied empathy as a part of my master's thesis work so I took that advice to heart. And I've failed at times because I love this #### activity so much, and my home corps even more than that (exponentially-to-the-moon-and-back.) I'm reminded of that love on a hourly basis (minimum); as in whenever a client requests deep tissue therapy bc it always hurts the thumb I broke on tour; or as in whenever I use my phone because my neck and shoulder are tore-up from spinning a broken saber while trying keep pace with a top sabre line, and having never spun sabre before; and as in other, more positive ways too, I will admit.

We all care. A lot. That much is clear in this thread and website. So I share your frustration OSD. Especially when the nonprofit model is, yes, designed in such a way that stakeholders are supposed to keep their beloved nonprofits "in check." If you only want to look at it from a negative perspective though. The other side of the same coin is this: when orgs are better at transparency, stakeholders (and donors/sponsors) are more generous with their giving of time, resources, expertise, and energy. Perhaps I've been harping too much on the former.

In this case (as well as in the case of Vanguard's delinquency status) I still choose to believe that the folks in the back rooms are doing the best they know how. But mistakes have been made and the stakes are high (always have been.) My real questions remain what if doing your best isn't good enough anymore? and if one's professional skill set is catching all kinds of red flags regarding the status quo, what is the most effective (and compassionate) way to inform the orgs about this such that identifiable change for the better is possible?

10 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m going to give the new guy the benefit of the doubt and hope that he ignores the trope “We’ve always done it this way”. 

Same. And copy that for Vanguard's new chief too.

Edited by MikeD
Filter circumvention quote
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Is there anyone on the BoD who has a business or financial background? Weird how when someone who doesn’t have a DC or music background is named for a corps top spot people flip out. Cant have the music without the financial footing folks

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scheherazadesghost said:

There are additional cancers, as many already know. They also do not improve in darkness and silence.

Yes I know those cancers exist.  But we are seeing them spill over into a financial hit - if nothing else higher insurance costs.   And sometimes more.    My thoughts are that DCI will finally address the other cancers as a way to lower costs.  It is an alternative path to achieve the same desired end state.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RiverCityAndTroopersFan said:

1. Regionals: The regionals will be

West: Glendale, AZ. Corps: Any corps west of Colorado (and BK)

Southwest: San Antonio, TX. Corps: Any corps south of Colts, East of Colorado but West of Tennessee . 
Midwest: St Louis, MO. Corps:  Any corps north of Tennessee , south of Canada, and west of Pennsylvania. 
Southeast: Atlanta, GA. Corps: Any corps south of Kentucky, and east of Louisiana. 
Northeast: Syracuse, NY. Corps: Any corps north of Virginia, and east of Ohio. 

2. Regional touring model. 25 shows maximum and 3 shows minimum in each regional. Each corps gets four optional “Non-region” events (cannot be a regional but can be outside of their region, allows for Texas swing to happen). 

3. Selling of rights of names of defunct corps. 

4. Back to regionals, sign deals with the US college system to provide cheap, inexpensive or free housing on college campuses 

1. Southeast - Crown, Spirit, and Music CIty

Northeast - Surf and Boston.

Southwest - Crossmen and Genesis

West - Academy, BD, SCV, Mandarins, Troopers, Cascades, Pac Crest

Midwest - Regiment, Bluecoats, Madison, Cavies, Colts, Blue Stars

2. If you are moved in you have the same costs for food, housing ( I know you addressed this), etc

3. If the name is up for grabs why would you need to sell it, it could be just used.  If not, who owns the name?

4. Three problems with this.  1. What is this US college system?  Almost every college is owned privately or by the state they reside. 2. Many schools fields are booked solid by lucrative sports camps that are paying top dollar. 3. If you are staying on campus, most schools require you to eat the food on campus to avoid violating contracts with Aramark or whoever they have a contract with.

6 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Yes I know those cancers exist.  But we are seeing them spill over into a financial hit - if nothing else higher insurance costs.   And sometimes more.    My thoughts are that DCI will finally address the other cancers as a way to lower costs.  It is an alternative path to achieve the same desired end state.  

I appreciate that, thank you.

Will they clear themselves of one cancer intentionally, and then unintentionally (but happily) clear others without even acknowledging the latter? 'Cause some of those cancers are more humiliating and potentially illegal than others. Those grow back if not fully and directly treated.

I feel like the answer here is pretty obvious, but because it would put a limit on the ability for a corps to buy a better shot at a championship, they won't agree to it. 

• Regional tours only, with each corps staying in their region until the week before finals. Then have a number of shows in an easy driving distance from the finals site. Corps fly in and then bus around the area. 
  • Regional MEMBERSHIP only, negating the need for housing during spring training or pre-season. 
  • Hard spending cap on things like equipment, uniforms, props, staff, design, anything that isn't related to feeding or housing the corps. 

Clearly this would be a major change to the activity, but it would allow for each corps to spend FAR less money on a season and extend the life of the activity as a whole. It would also make sure that less fortunate corps weren't competing with corps that are spending way more money than they are on flashy gimmicks. 

• Like 1