Vanguard 2024

5 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Next dumb question- once you get copyright clearances, do they last forever or do they expire at some point?   Or is the clearance for a set number of performances?   

If SCV had clearance, I would hope they could roll them over to this season if the program remains the same. 

pretty sure it has a time frame attached

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MarimbaManiac said:

I believe it was December. Considering the time and energy it requires for music clearances, I would be shocked if they hadn't already decided on a concept, selected music, and sketched out horn arrangements. This is usually work that happens in the off season, and even if the music doesn't make it to the members until the spring camps it's likely been in the works since August. 

Yeah exactly...this is an early fall discussion. The first round of horn arrangements is likely done by the first camp.

percussion usually has some stuff too

20 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

percussion usually has some stuff too

Yeah agreed. Depends on the design process of the team. In corps I've been involved with we would try and have at least the opener for all sections during audition camp for them to read through, but some teams like to have the entire show sketched out before they move on to percussion. I'm not really sure how their particular team operates, but horn arrangements would usually be at least the minimum by December. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Dallas camp this past weekend, clips up on the social medias. CEO expressed much excitement about the quality education happening, especially with the Rennicks. Spring training will happen at the University of Idaho.

The board of directors have heard snippets of show music from the Dallas camp and were also very excited. I didn't catch in the open meeting when or how the show would be revealed, but I think I just missed it. My bad.

• Like 2

SCV's April Fools prank announcing Scheherazade 3  is in poor form. Sure, make light how this abuse survivor at Vanguard's hand (corroborated by your current CFO/former board president and alum herself) asked you never to revive Scheherazade. She assured me to my face you wouldn't with witnesses present. How much longer can your staff claim they didn't know? You need a qualified communications director.

The internal synchrony of this organization continues to be its downfall. On the one hand you've corroborated past abuse, while on the other, you make public jokes for internet points.

These kinds of things keep alumni away... or do you simply want us to remain splintered? It's getting difficult to tell.

Worse, I've been actively encouraging other survivors, who say they're ready to disclose their stories of abuse to you, to come talk to you. Insensitive actions like this make me want to stop. Especially if they'll be treated as callously as this.

Announce the real show material and get on with it.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
excessive comma
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, scheherazadesghost said:

SCV's April Fools prank announcing Scheherazade 3  is in poor form. Sure, make light how this abuse survivor at Vanguard's hand (corroborated by your current CFO/former board president and alum herself) asked you never to revive Scheherazade. She assured me to my face you wouldn't with witnesses present. How much longer can your staff claim they didn't know? You need a qualified communications director.

The internal synchrony of this organization continues to be its downfall. On the one hand you've corroborated past abuse, while on the other, you make public jokes for internet points.

These kinds of things keep alumni away... or do you simply want us to remain splintered? It's getting difficult to tell.

Worse, I've been actively encouraging other survivors, who say they're ready to disclose their stories of abuse to you, to come talk to you. Insensitive actions like this make me want to stop. Especially if they'll be treated as callously as this.

Announce the real show material and get on with it.

Many times the person running the social media account is a hired employee with social media experience who probably has no idea about these abuse allegations. They have no reason to know, and probably have no idea why a piece of music the corps has performed is controversial. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, olddrummer34 said:

Many times the person running the social media account is a hired employee with social media experience who probably has no idea about these abuse allegations. They have no reason to know, and probably have no idea why a piece of music the corps has performed is controversial. 

So things posted to SCV social media don’t get approved by SCV management?

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, olddrummer34 said:

I'm sure this post didn't need to be approved, because it is a harmless April fools joke. Why do you assume everyone knows about one persons alleged abuse? They aren't reviving sheherexade, it is a post. Sounds like they should run everything by DCP to see if anyone is upset by it. 

I have to believe this day in age with several corps having had financial management issues, abuse allegations (more than one persons alleged abuse) and a number of safety and care of membership issues, that any PR or media team at any org, would have a release of ANY communication, be reviewed and signed off by leadership, before publication.   No org in their right minds would allow their social media team or PR team carte blanche on communications. Or they shouldn’t.  And if they do, then they risk the backlash that may be generated; deservedly. 

Edited by LabMaster
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3