A Great Article on The Cadets

2 hours ago, craiga said:

A friend who used to teach Cadets once told me how they would have somebody at one of their show sites drive through the night with cash from that gate to buy food for the corps which was at another show site.  Crazy?

Do you think that's different from other corps? That lots of corps weren't and aren't consistently starved for cash and spending money as it arrived? 

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

the problem for Cadets was tour time is when the band circuit money wasn't rolling in yet. so if they ran out of what they had, it was tight til they got that plus any show sponsor/show host funds came in and the annual DCi payout

Right. That's why they had the line of credit with the bank. It smoothed out the uneven revenue/expense cycles. Because YEA repaid the credit, the bank continued the lending year after year. 

Also, regarding this discussion on Cadets and feeding the members, the Cadets had a reputation for having some of the best food on tour. Availability. Variety. Taste. Kids who marched multiple corps (including other top corps) praised the Cadets food truck in the past couple of decades. 70s and 80s were a different story. But they were a different story everywhere.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sh0uldN0t said:

Do you think that's different from other corps? That lots of corps weren't and aren't consistently starved for cash and spending money as it arrived? 

Well that’s a great sign for the activities survival. 🙄 But as long as other corps do it….

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

The reason we stopped supporting the Cadets was because Jim was helping move the cakezilla prop in 2017 and he was worried about the kids standing on it.  He thought it was unsafe. He’s an engineer ffs. He said he wouldn’t stand on it on the volunteer page . So some Cadets HOF ######## told him he wasn’t much of a supporter.  We weren’t after that.

They aren’t the only ones that drop the ball with donors. I was donating to another corps and my credit card was compromised. I practically begged them to take my new credit card information. They never did get it from me after I tried numerous times and they kept trying to run the old card.  It was kind of funny for awhile. 

I was attacked on here by a couple people for criticizing that prop’s integrity. I think I called it overbuilt yet surprisingly unsafe. It’s good to hear Jim thought similar. I feel vindicated. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

I was attacked on here by a couple people for criticizing that prop’s integrity. I think I called it overbuilt yet surprisingly unsafe. It’s good to hear Jim thought similar. I feel vindicated. 

Oh it was visibly shaky when they got up on it.  Particularly later in the season.  It made me increasingly nervous through the season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sh0uldN0t said:

Right. That's why they had the line of credit with the bank. It smoothed out the uneven revenue/expense cycles. Because YEA repaid the credit, the bank continued the lending year after year. 

Also, regarding this discussion on Cadets and feeding the members, the Cadets had a reputation for having some of the best food on tour. Availability. Variety. Taste. Kids who marched multiple corps (including other top corps) praised the Cadets food truck in the past couple of decades. 70s and 80s were a different story. But they were a different story everywhere.

I’m not in a position to question whether the food offered by Cadets was the best. Perhaps it was tasty, healthy, and well prepared, but the complaints as I heard them centered on portion size and the complaints were more recent than the 70’s and 80’s. 

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 2

On 2/24/2024 at 11:06 AM, Terri Schehr said:

That was the plan with G7 and even further back in the 90’s with the supercorps idea. 

YEP! The corps should not be running DCI.

6 hours ago, Sh0uldN0t said:

glad to hear it. i may still have the text saved somewhere. may have been 2011. or was it the year Hop ripped Nate a new ######## online for something, tho unlike Ellen, he didn't mention his name. or doing things for love.

and i get your desire to defend. you have to realize many other people in positions that saw things up close have definitely lifted the lid off in ways that do differ a lot from what you're saying.

11 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

Brian, you both were right and your only concern were the members stacked up on that thing. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sh0uldN0t said:

I like that you are defending them a little here and I have no problem with that. I had a number of students who marched Cadets and all of them loved it. In regard to the food don't take the comments too personally. I think most folks on here know that food issues were very common with lots of corps back in the 70s and 80s, even into the 90s and 2000s in the DCI era.

The students I know who marched primarily in the 90s and early 2000s always felt the corps ate well. There were other things they liked and some things they did not. They were all still glad they marched with a legendary corps. But just know that some of the things discussed here (food, finances, other issues) do not just relate to the Cadets. Everyone here knows that. There are lots of good people here who understand the difficulties many corps had in trying to run their operations and get down the road in the summer. This just happens to be a Cadets thread and with the corps going through legal issues at a time when their existence is in question I think it is fair that these things are discussed. 

• Like 1