Troopers guard

sadly, yelling is sometimes the only way to get peoples attention. odds are strong the comments said while yelling make it abuse. there are ways to be loud yet not be abusing people.

I've seen one of the aforementioned names at work in the past. I observed yelling. Sometimes, it was to get attention, but the comments weren't what would be considered abusive. Other times it was full on abusive and made observers watching cringe. it was amazing to see the same person use both approaches and never flinch

1 hour ago, Lance said:

I've noticed that whenever I feel inclined to raise my voice with my students, it's usually about something internal not external... almost always insecurity or unpreparedness on my part.

The same is true of students acting up 99.99% of the time.  Not necessarily insecurity on their part, but definitely something that has nothing to do with me or my instruction.  

Took me a bit to figure both of those things out, but it sure made me a better teacher.  

Also, being good at something doesn't make you good at teaching it, unfortunately.  

this. in sales way too many times good sales people get tapped to be managers and absolutely suck at it. it's why i've never entertained management any time i've been approached. i know i wouldn't be good, and worse, i have no tolerance for corporate speak that says a lot despite saying absolutely nothing

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

sadly, yelling is sometimes the only way to get peoples attention. odds are strong the comments said while yelling make it abuse. there are ways to be loud yet not be abusing people.

I've seen one of the aforementioned names at work in the past. I observed yelling. Sometimes, it was to get attention, but the comments weren't what would be considered abusive. Other times it was full on abusive and made observers watching cringe. it was amazing to see the same person use both approaches and never flinch

I think yelling is only effective for bigger people or those who back it up with worse behaviors. Yelling was never a strategy that would work for a petite thing like me, so I went to graduate school and became a pedagogue.

Here's some backup nuance that mostly affirms your point: https://www.winnersunlimited.com/does-screaming-at-athletes-work

It's only superficially effective and only to a point... for those it actually works for. The rest of us have to work on building trust and effective communication skills.

52 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Thank you for articulating what I was attempting to say. It's not exactly the yelling but the comments said. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jimmyjames said:

Wow you really are a bully. No one here is shocked. 

According to The Army of Survivors guide that was posted earlier, I've now moved on to another phase of emotional abuse, ignoring you. Just for the record, the best overall facial tissue is the Kleenex ultra soft.

• Haha 1

I've found that with the best instructors I've ever had, it's when they start talking quietly that they're at their most intense.  You REALLY listen to what they have to say then.  That was true for me even at boot camp which is mostly just screaming all the time.  When DI's got quiet...those were the most "oh s###" moments, lol.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Quiet.

Best musical advice I was ever given, as the director walked away: "If you want to succeed, if you want us all to succeed, you will practice."

I used it musically, 50+ years ago. I used it professionally for 40 years. I use it in retirement, with my writing.

• Like 1

How does one teach a guard of 30+ people without a microphone and not yell?

I don't know that yelling in and of itself is abusive, sometimes it's necessary so that your voice can carry to both sides of the field.

It's what is being yelled that makes it abuse or not. Even when corrective, yelling at the whole guard is one thing, singling individuals out and yelling at them in front of others is a WHOLE other thing.

• Like 4

Sigh...live with the Ayatollah for 36 years if you want to hear some yelling. 

• Like 1