Shows you regret NOT seeing "Live"?

On 2/28/2024 at 11:22 AM, frank4now said:

I started going to 2 or three shows a year beginning in 2006. I was busy working and raising kids during most of that time, so there are some years (shows) I really regret not seeing live. Here are a few off top of my head.

Phantom 2008

Carolina 2015

Carolina 2008

Actually the whole season 2008 I missed unfortunately 

***correction I did attend one show in 2008. I saw Cavaliers, Bluecoats, Bluestars, and Crossmen that year somewhere in Cincinnati. I remember loving Cavies Samarai show.

Here is a couple right off the top of my head

1988 Blue Devils,

1989 or 1990 star of Indiana 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I did see them. I was in the first 29th place DCI corps ever! 

That's a weird but awesome flex.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/28/2024 at 3:15 PM, lawdn said:

The one huge advantage of Lucas Oil - it don’t rain in Indianapolis in the summertime….

I respect your position on domes though.

It's not domes for me, it's Indianapolis. I realize from a logistical perspective it makes it easier to have it in one place, but I miss the days were it travelled. 

1. So many more people were exposed to the activity, and 

2. It was fun seeing different parts of the country.

No offense, Indianapolis, you're a lovely city but I don't ever have the need to visit you again. A few times was enough.

Edited by Vuitton
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Madison Scouts at Finals in 1988. I saw them early in Whitewater and knew then they would be top 5 when cleaned. Saw them again in Morgantown, WV in early August. They lost to Garfield Cadets by .1, but it was after that show that I felt they would very quickly wave "bye bye" to Garfield and push into the top 3. I really felt Garfield was a top 4 corps, even though scores were all over the place that summer; so with Madison closing in I had a feeling they could be top 3 -- but I wasn't sure they could beat BD or SCV. Really wanted to be in Kansas City for Finals. 

It was a great year for us, for sure. I remember Morgantown. It was a complete thrill to be 0.1 down from Garfield. I didn't think they were a top 4 corps, at any point in 1988, I KNEW they were a top 4 corps, despite Star beating them. Garfield was someone you never took lightly and never counted out. I knew being basically tied with them was very promising since it was later in the season. 

Before finals week, Garfield had only lost to Blue Devils, Star of Indiana and Santa Clara Vanguard. Cavaliers and Phantom Regiment got close, and we got even closer, but never beat them. We did only see them that once. Cavaliers beat them at semifinals, but I said before finals week. I thought Star was going to end the season in 7th from the first time we saw them. It was a corps still maturing and finding their indentity. It was a great show. A tell of things to come, for sure.

To me, though, the miracle of the '88 season was the Cavaliers. What a show design. Sensational. Brilliant. Marvelous. To me, it was the single best show design to date. It is my favorite show from that season hands down. Regiment probably had my 2nd favorite show - it was so beautifully designed. It was a great year all around.

Edited by Vuitton
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Vuitton said:

It's not domes for me, it's Indianapolis. I realize from a logistical perspective it makes it easier to have it in one place, but I miss the days were it travelled. 

1. So many more people were exposed to the activity, and 

2. It was fun seeing different parts of the country.

No offense, Indianapolis, you're a lovely city but I don't ever have the need to visit you again. A few times was enough.

I chopped a day off of our stay.  We’re coming in Thursday morning instead of Wednesday.  It’s only 1 1/2 hours from Cincinnati.  No reason to be there Wednesday night. 

3 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I chopped a day off of our stay.  We’re coming in Thursday morning instead of Wednesday.  It’s only 1 1/2 hours from Cincinnati.  No reason to be there Wednesday night. 

I would go if I lived that close. It's cross-country for me, so not worth it. I'd rather spend the money to go some where else.

31 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Not going to Open Class?   As a small Corps alumni, if I were going to DCI, I would make a point of to Open Class. But I know that few agree with my position 

• Like 1

Two shows I wish I could have seen live is 1975 Madison Scouts and 1976 Blue Devils. Not because of regret but I was a young kid that had no inkling of drum corp.

Edited by DFA1970
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Not going to Open Class?   As a small Corps alumni, if I were going to DCI, I would make a point of to Open Class. But I know that few agree with my position 

I’ll see them on Thursday morning.  I’m going to an open class show in Cincinnati, too.  Plus, most of shows I’m going to have all-age and open class.   Trust me, after spending five years watching Div 2/3 almost exclusively, i support open class. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’ll see them on Thursday morning.  I’m going to an open class show in Cincinnati, too.  Plus, most of shows I’m going to have all-age and open class.   Trust me, after spending five years watching Div 2/3 almost exclusively, i support open class. 

As you know, these shows can be very creative & entertaining.  It takes a special kind of talent & attitude to throw it down when you don’t have 110 more members backing you up.  

I just wish they had packed stands for Open Class finals.