Shows that surprised you and glad you saw live

Gotta add another one to this list.

Cavaliers 2019. 

Us California fans are always so appreciative when corps from the midwest/east coast make the long trip out west. We always make sure to show those corps lots of love. 

2019 Cavies was no exception, and boy did they bring it!!

Saw them in San Bernardino. Of all the corps that performed that night, only one got two massive standing ovations, The Cavaliers. 

Just an absolute electric performance, and they set the Inland Empire on fire that night. 

So thankful I got to see them live that year. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

The first time you saw 1996 BD. Club Blue, Gangster Chronicle. Tell me you didn’t jump in your seat on that first hit!

Ok here’s an obscure one. 1978 27th Lancers. If I remember correctly they started at the corner of the field and the first move (with the color guard out front) was a “head chopper”.  Rifle toss / flags sweep over the heads of the rifles as the rifles are still in the air.  Hoo boy that impressed my teenage self!!

i couldn't...the first time i saw it was in the tunnel behind them waiting to perform in exhibition!

which leads me to Phantom 96 at finals. mesmerized. you forgot everything going on around you. you were sucked in from the start

• Like 4

18 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

The first time you saw 1996 BD. Club Blue, Gangster Chronicle. Tell me you didn’t jump in your seat on that first hit!

Ok here’s an obscure one. 1978 27th Lancers. If I remember correctly they started at the corner of the field and the first move (with the color guard out front) was a “head chopper”.  Rifle toss / flags sweep over the heads of the rifles as the rifles are still in the air.  Hoo boy that impressed my teenage self!!

Not the best angle for the start but here you go:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

which leads me to Phantom 96 at finals. mesmerized. you forgot everything going on around you. you were sucked in from the start

HIGH on my list of shows I wished I'd seen live

16 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I first saw Phantom 96 at Allentown,  I was so drawn into that show that when they finished it felt like they'd only been on for like a couple minutes, I thought no way is it over they've barely been on the field.  that show was so good it just felt short.

Phantom 2003 - Harmonic Journey (the original) - Saw them in person for my first time when they did a California Tour.  Early season show in Azusa, CA.  At the time, the original ending did not resolve the building chords that ended the show. Nonetheless, they hit the first chord, and in my mind, I'm yelling, "WOW, that's loud!"

Then they hit the next 2 chords in the progression, each getting louder still.  Again, they did not resolve the progression. The show just ended. Loud, and tonally angry.

I collected all the media I could from that year, based on that show.  Became a Phantom Regiment fan that night. A top-10 show (all time) for me.

• Like 1

Oh, and Blue Devils 2004 - Summertrain Blues Mix - An early showing (1st week of the season at Mt. Sac). When they did the horn hits in the end of the first movement, working off the snare fills....It was just amazing to me that any group could be THAT clean that early in the season. A fun show for a number of reasons.

• Like 1

Saw Glassmen 99 early season when I was stationed in NC.  I had seen their 98 show at finals, and I knew they were going to be good, but that 99 show was really amazing to me in particular.  Even though they ended up getting 5th again at finals, I felt like it was a big step up.  I loved the arrangement and overall production, and they just sounded like they were on their way to top 3 in the near future.