questionably high amount of openings

It would be more helpful for potential members if they broke down where the openings are.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So to answer some of the curious questions being asked here--

These numbers include any group which chooses to participate. So it may not be the full World/Open/All-Age/SoundSport rosters. It's not like DCI is monitoring the number of contracts being signed and updates this comprehensively. Groups have to opt in to using it. At Northern Lights (SoundSport now but in the All-Age review process for 2025), we were given the option but opted out because we were recruiting right where we wanted to be.

If you click the link that's attached with the current opening posts, there's a survey which asks you all kinds of questions like what section/equipment/instrument you want to march, what your geographic area/ZIP code is, and then even asks if you want a national/regional/local model and then suggests corps for you based on your answers and the corps who signed up for the program.

The points everyone else here are making are still true-- these numbers also include Open Class or All-Age corps (some of who maybe would have been Class A in the old DCA system) who realistically aren't going to make 160-some members, but sign up for the program to draw interest/use DCI's resources to help recruiting.

Hope this helps a bit!

Edit: So to clarify, this means the data DCI posts there is just raw numbers on what spots are open from corps throughout the entire "league" who choose to participate, and is not indicative of "fullness" of the corps in the totality of DCI... if that makes sense. Numbers seem to be up as far as recruiting. Looked like unanimously every All-Age corps reported record high recruiting at the Jannuals (us included, albeit we only have two years of data to show). 

Doug Olmstead - Northern Lights Ops Director

Edited by dunklebrass
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

It will be interesting to see the results..........I will say that I am amazed at how every year it seems people manage to fill it out, and not just finalists, either.  I can't help think that the fees, plus just the cost getting to and from camps, must keep some away.  That said, I live in Fla., and I believe there are near record college spring break crowds in many areas in the state; I have no idea where they are coming up with the money, especially with college costs being very high these days.

9 hours ago, BG984 said:

That said, I live in Fla., and I believe there are near record college spring break crowds in many areas in the state; I have no idea where they are coming up with the money, especially with college costs being very high these days.

Probably sugar parents/grandparents who want their children/grandchildren to have the same experiences they had.

16 minutes ago, TOC said:

Probably sugar parents/grandparents who want their children/grandchildren to have the same experiences they had.

You're probably right.  But back in my college days, I always spent spring break working.  And also in those days, BAC didn’t have weekend camps. We rehearsed every Friday night and Sunday all day, and nobody ever wanted to miss a rehearsal.   It's just what we did.

Even now, most of the current drum corps members don't go to spring break in Florida....too busy working toward the summer, and WGI obligations for many. Today's drum corps kids are really not typical Generation Zers imo.

• Like 3

I would love to see Les Stentors come out w/ 150 members & shake up Open Class.  But they are already winners in my eyes - they prove every year that it is indeed possible for a Corps to cross the US - Canadian border.   Thus putting the I in DCI.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I would love to see Les Stentors come out w/ 150 members & shake up Open Class.  But they are already winners in my eyes - they prove every year that it is indeed possible for a Corps to cross the US - Canadian border.   Thus putting the I in DCI.  

Les Stentors came out to SoCal in 2022. I think the kids got to visit Disneyland, Six Flags, and other LA tourist attractions. Plus on the field, they are super talented! I know it cost them a pretty penny to travel out here, but I hope they can do it again in the near future. West Coast crowds showed them so much love. I am sure the kids had the time of their lives too.

• Like 5

On 3/29/2024 at 7:35 AM, Mello Dude said:

It would be more helpful for potential members if they broke down where the openings are.

Kids are so good at internet searches, I’m sure openings could be found with little trouble by going to particular corps sites,  and inquiring directly.  Plus they could see what the summer may look like schedule wise, as well as any other questions they may have.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Kids are so good at internet searches, I’m sure openings could be found with little trouble by going to particular corps sites,  and inquiring directly.  Plus they could see what the summer may look like schedule wise, as well as any other questions they may have.

Yes, but when someone went through the trouble of counting openings why not just publish the sources?  Hell, there may even be corps no one knows about close by.

9 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Yes, but when someone went through the trouble of counting openings why not just publish the sources?  Hell, there may even be corps no one knows about close by.

My understanding is that if you follow the link & fill out questionnaire (Inc email address) it will tell you which Corps have openings for what you play or spin.