Cadets and bankruptcy

36 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I’m sure you mean that the Cadets community wanted winning….the right way.

Presumably yes. My point is that with all the chatter, no one was talking about criminal misconduct. It was all about personality and results.

1 hour ago, TRacer said:

We don’t know and that is the plaintiff’s business. However, having stood in that person’s shoes when I was 12 years old outlining to detectives in awful detail what took place, then having the perp (a martial arts instructor) show up at my front door several months afterward unannounced and relive those “not at all charming memories” I can say there are occasions where you want the person or party responsible DEAD. It’s been almost 50 years, and I am totally okay with the fact that that person is DEAD. Eff forgiveness. 

“Sometimes you don’t have enough rocks.” —- Forrest Gump

TRacer, i am sorry you have had to live with this. And I absolutely understand being ok with knowing your abuser is dead. Mine is not, and lives near by. I wouldn’t wish him dead, but would not mourn his passing. 

when we all think about what this plaintiff wants from this action, obv none of us can know. What i DO know is that, in a civil action, she has final say in moving forward. She likely knew when she filed that there aren’t deep pockets here, but she filed anyway. When she was advised that this would necessitate shutting down the Cadets permanently, she could have said “no, don’t let that happen”. She did not. To me, that sounds like wanting justice above all else. Would i do that? Probably not. Do i begrudge HER for doing that? Absolutely not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

5 minutes ago, DWW11 said:

TRacer, i am sorry you have had to live with this. And I absolutely understand being ok with knowing your abuser is dead. Mine is not, and lives near by. I wouldn’t wish him dead, but would not mourn his passing. 

when we all think about what this plaintiff wants from this action, obv none of us can know. What i DO know is that, in a civil action, she has final say in moving forward. She likely knew when she filed that there aren’t deep pockets here, but she filed anyway. When she was advised that this would necessitate shutting down the Cadets permanently, she could have said “no, don’t let that happen”. She did not. To me, that sounds like wanting justice above all else. Would i do that? Probably not. Do i begrudge HER for doing that? Absolutely not.

Thank you for this. I'm grateful for your voice here.

• Like 3

As we’re continuing this discussion, we need to keep in mind that the lawsuit was the final nail in the coffin, but even without the lawsuit the chances of Cadets taking the field again were slim to none. Remember we’re talking about years of serious financial mismanagement, not to mention a number of crazy decisions along the way. After 2019 it looked as if there might not have been a 2020. Covid and a year off gave  Cadets a chance to regroup. The corps had revolving leadership, two significant leaders in particular who never had full support. I know one was beloved and one was a bit controversial to put it mildly, but personality issues aside, both were qualified and would have been able to put another corps back on track. Then there’s the move from Allentown to Erie. Don’t forget some one time insiders were predicting the end of the Cadets in the fall of 2017/winter of 2018 when it was rumored GH was leafleting cars of people auditioning for Bloo, Crown, and BAC while their winter camps were in session, hoping they’d march Cadets. Most of us would have loved to see Cadets take the field again, and I will miss a corps I have loved for years, but if it hadn’t been the accusations and potential aftermath of a legal settlement, it probably would have been something else. 

• Like 8

54 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Lives nearby (((*))).  Mine lived two blocks away.  I was scared to death.  I thought he would kill me because my mom went to the police. I blame some of my GI issues on that anxiety. My Dad “encouraged” him to move.  He did. 

You have true courage, Terri!

Clearly, for all the good drum corps has brought to many on here, there is this disturbing undertow of sickness and sleeze that so many are now revealing having been victims themselves...What that says about the current environment of drum corps, I have no idea...My marching days are long gone...But as there's nothing new under the sun, the lewd behaviors I witnessed in the sixties are still apparently a great concern today..Hopefully these concerns can be put to rest ASAP..Peace

• Like 5

4 hours ago, drumcorpsfever said:

I don’t like the way this is written. The press release makes it sound like the Cadets are the victims. 

Sad. 

yup

• Like 1