Cadets and bankruptcy

My only interaction with GH, happened in 2000 at Tower Records, Lincoln Center...I told a friend that I recognized GH and that I was going to say hello and how much I loved the Cadets...Approaching him respectfully, I excused myself and proceeded to tell him that I was a Cadet fan and supporter and that I hoped for a successful season...His response freaked me out!..There was no response! He just kept walking through the soundtracks dept..while looking through me not at me and said nothing..That's all I needed to know about Mr. H...I remained a Cadet fan but reserved a big F you for their director,,Good riddance...peace

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Marched4years said:

He was involved with landmark. Attended events, talked about them. 

I took a year off between rookie and returning, and I had done one of those seminars in the space.  When I came back and I heard the talk it was instantly "oooohhhh, so you stole all that stuff.  Got it."

Sad but not surprised. Very encouraging (top 5) last year trying to rebuild but they just were still in the shadows of... you know who. You know that saying...."you live by the sword...you die by the sword".

50 minutes ago, FormerXyloWhiz said:

As somebody who had done a couple seminars, i'll tell you that "Hop Talks" were almost straight out of LifeSpring.  I'm certain he did one of those programs (there are many - EST, Landmark, etc - all stem from the same tree).

"LifeSpring"; is that kind of like "Amway"? (googles "LifeSpring") 😡😄 

On 4/2/2024 at 5:13 PM, kdaddy said:

Haven't other corps faced bankruptcy and returned? Didn't Boston Crusaders file for bankruptcy back when?

Not all BK are the same. Ch. 7 is total liquidation. Other filings are for reorganizations.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

"LifeSpring"; is that kind of like "Amway"? (googles "LifeSpring") 😡😄 

Googled too 😟. Sounds like one of those “every day I’m getting better and better” groups. If you’re really impressed with yourself I can see why you’d be involved.

can hear my dad: “like to buy them for what they’re worth.. and sell them for what they think they’re worth”

• Like 1

It's debatable how helpful or useful the lessons from these programs are for various people in life.  Some extraordinarily helpful, others not so much.  But i'll say with confidence that the methods in which they teach and control in an effort to get you to buy into the program - Hop used them throughout his tenure.  Some eat it up, others won't touch it with a 10 foot pole.  Indoctrination is the word that comes to mind.   

• Like 5

1 hour ago, FormerXyloWhiz said:

It's debatable how helpful or useful the lessons from these programs are for various people in life.  Some extraordinarily helpful, others not so much.  But i'll say with confidence that the methods in which they teach and control in an effort to get you to buy into the program - Hop used them throughout his tenure.  Some eat it up, others won't touch it with a 10 foot pole.  Indoctrination is the word that comes to mind.   

... made infinitely worse that these methods were used in a youth education setting. The statistics showing how much of the young population already experienced more than one adverse childhood experience before 18 are staggering.

This info, new to me, makes him all the more deplorable. I've also used the word indoctrination to describe my own adverse experiences in drum corps before.

We've had psychiatrists at the helm more than once at my home corps with not so great outcomes. Can't say they're directly related for certain, but I have had my hackles up about it.

How crucial it is to protect the youth and orgs from abuse of power! They doesn't just regulate themselves without robust oversight....

Edited by scheherazadesghost