Cadets and bankruptcy

This is so sad.  There's going to be a hole in my heart this season.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

SSI differentiates youth from adult safeguarding, but emphasizes that both are critical to be considered a safe sport entity. And not just for participants, but for staff, volunteers, and leadership as well:

Adults: https://safesportinternational.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/SAFEGUARD-DOC-Proof-4-Single.pdf

Children/minors*: https://safeinsport.org/8-safeguards/

*also available in Swahili 💪🏽

Did a Quick Look and sounds like the anti sexual harassment training I had. IMO having members know what protections they have and what to do in case of trouble is part of it. Another part is making sure the people working with youth are safe (background check). 
What is hazy to me is how DCI fits into it. Probably my lack of knowledge but sounds like DCI isn’t taking an active role in protecting. IOW too much relying on the individual corps and outside groups (SS) to handle things. To put it another way DCI is sitting back saying “we have SS now… see we took action, we’re cool”

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Did a Quick Look and sounds like the anti sexual harassment training I had. IMO having members know what protections they have and what to do in case of trouble is part of it. Another part is making sure the people working with youth are safe (background check). 
What is hazy to me is how DCI fits into it. Probably my lack of knowledge but sounds like DCI isn’t taking an active role in protecting. IOW too much relying on the individual corps and outside groups (SS) to handle things. To put it another way DCI is sitting back saying “we have SS now… see we took action, we’re cool”

And don't forget, AFAIK, USCSS doesn't provide oversight because DCI isn't an official national governing body. They only provide the weak training module.

10 minutes ago, year1buick said:

No Klingon?

ROFLOL. I'll be sure to mention that oversight in my first committee meeting. Thank you.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, garfield said:

I always thought it would be fun and interesting to do a 10-yr follow up to see if any 990s showed a significant difference but now I think I'll let someone else take that ball.  I know a few that would differ greatly: SCV and Cadets being among the most-easy to guess.

I think I know just the person…

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Indeed there are laws, but I've encountered too many situations in which the law doesn't cover the violations endured.

Besides, resources and research I provided from international experts in safe sport day the same: the organizations and oversight bodies should take it on themselves under the duty to care. Plain and simple. They aren't a safe sport without doing so.

The thing with the laws is that any incident must be reported to local authorities asap after it occurs so it can be investigated before evidence disappears, witnesses memory fades, etc.  Add in that it may take a young person some time to process what happened, the Corps could be miles down the road by then.  

I think a solution is for each Corps to bring along an adult ‘member contact rep’ that members are encouraged to seek out asap if they even think something may have happened.   The reps are not Corps employees, they report to something like a DCI Independent Inspector General, and have the authority to call law enforcement and secure access to victim plus evidence independent of Corps management.   Yes this would cost money.  But lawsuits also cost money.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

I don't think it will happen, but if it did I would not cry. Part of me thinks that might be good. I've not been a fan of the "Association" model for governance (directors of the corps run the show). I think we need something new with a real vision for the future. 

But for that to happen Corps directors will need to give up some control.  Good luck with that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I was at Soundsport last year.  Were you?  It wasn’t “all kids”.

Not that it is any of your business but after working hard for almost my entire adult life, I’m retired now and if I want to participate here, I can unless they want to suspend me again. 

It’s a legitimate question and I believe their response was as clear as mud.

We had minors march in our alumni corps in 2008. At least a half-dozen, or so.  They were adorable and good. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

Hmmm….   That line of reasoning did not pan out very well for the Catholic Church. You cannot tell me “nobody knew.”  That’s just false on its face. I’m afraid DCI might be in significant trouble here. The “I was in charge but the rules didn’t make me do anything” defense is a loser. 

I think the SoA lawsuit is much more likely to impact corporate DCI than Cadets.  I suspect we’ll find out.  

• Like 4