1934foundation.org

I donated to two BAC members this spring, and what Boston did was match my donation toward the member's fee. So, $1000 ended up reducing the member's fee by $2000, and so on.  I thought it was genius.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, craiga said:

Jeff, my only problem with you is your steadfast refusal to capitalize the first letter of your sentences!  (Former English teacher here 😀)

OK I AM SORRY I DONT CAPITALIZE ANYTHING

PTSD from the RAMD days and certain people that used caps

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

When I would help members with their fees, I’d give it directly to them.  The last member I donated to had a gofundme and I went through that.

I think this is a noble idea but I also think people may be hesitant because they don’t want their money seized in legal proceedings. 

Hey Terri.

New and different organization. Not tied to the old one at all. New mission statement. We have a couple legal advisors (one of which knows the current case against CAE very well) and they are advising us to make sure we do not open ourselves up to any liability. No monies are in jeopardy of being seized. 

No need to be hesitant. = )

Edited by njthundrrd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, njthundrrd said:

No need to be hesitant. = )

How does the money get dispersed?

What percentage of funds goes directly to marching members?

How are marching members chosen?

What are the administrative cost percentages? What percentage goes to the student?

Does the money go directly to the corps they are marching in, or to the student?

What happens if the student decides not to march after funds have been dispersed to them?

Is there a liaison from your group to the corps that have members receiving money?

If the money goes directly to the student, how would donors know an impact is being made?

If I were to donate, how do I as a stakeholder get updated? When I donate directly to a corps, I'm added to a communication list, does something similar exist for the 1934Foundation (see above question about administrative costs)?

How do you distinguish between need-based support and support that might otherwise go to someone else in need? Who defines that?

^10 reasons to be hesitant, off the top of my head.

I agree it's great in theory, but there's a lot of questions that are not addressed on the website (at least not that I could see).

Edited by NewToPosting
Added specificity
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

36 minutes ago, NewToPosting said:

What are the administrative cost percentages? What percentage goes to the student?

Does the money go directly to the corps they are marching in, or to the student?

What happens if the student decides not to march after funds have been dispersed to them?

Is there a liaison from your group to the corps that have members receiving money?

If the money goes directly to the student, how would donors know an impact is being made?

If I were to donate, how do I as a stakeholder get updated? When I donate directly to a corps, I'm added to a communication list, does something similar exist for the 1934Foundation (see above question about administrative costs)?

How do you distinguish between need-based support and support that might otherwise go to someone else in need? Who defines that?

I agree it's great in theory, but there's a lot of questions that are not addressed on the website (at least not that I could see).

Also...

What experience does the leadership team have in nonprofit governance and administration?

Do they have demonstrated experience in facilitating donations at reputable foundations?

If not, are there plans to partner with reputable organizations to put in safeguards for ethical governance and administration?

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, NewToPosting said:

Another question may be ; what happens to the money, if the awarded student is dismissed from a corps, for misbehavior/s at any point during the contracted season?

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

Another question may be ; what happens to the money, if the awarded student is dismissed from a corps, for misbehavior/s at any point during the contracted season?

Do other organizations have a protocol for this? If no one does, or there is no consistency between them, this org has an opportunity to lead the way.

10 minutes ago, contraguard05 said:

Do other organizations have a protocol for this? If no one does, or there is no consistency between them, this org has an opportunity to lead the way.

Each corps decides how they run things, including this. Circumstances could also dictate how things play out.

I mean.  Are we seriously wondering what would happen in that scenario?  Money gone.  Buh-bye.  Back the wrong horse, lose.  That straightforward.  Willing to bet every main corps contract has language that should a member be dismissed for inappropriate behavior there is no refund.  If not, they are truly sleeping on the job.

• Like 1