Best Sop Player

Gotta mention Larrie Dastrup 81 Blue Devils. Those notes were writen for a sax but I think they forgot to tell him that!

Jim Brady (Bayonne)

Jeff Kievit (Muchachos)

Larrie Dastrup (BD)

Mike Collins (BD)

Joey Pero (Empire)

Roland Garceau (Brigs/BD)

Chris Metzger (Madison)

Jim Centorino (Matadors)

Richie Price (Matadors)

Frank Dorittie (Sunrisers)

John Meehan (BD)

Freddy Bell (Kilties/Guardsmen)

Jeff Lynne (BD)

Adam Rapa (East Coast Jazz)

It is a pity that contemporary junior shows do not feature soloists the way they did way back when - I am sure there would be more recent names for the list!

Edited by randomnoise

• 2 weeks later...

Curt Hawkins

Don't know his name but I would add to this prestigious list the Sop soloist from 75' Kilts on "Roll over Beethoven" and "Don't you worry 'bout a thing."

Seem to remember he was still a kid at the time, maybe 16 or 17 yrs. old.

He's the one who also sticks that (I think) double "C" at the end of Auld Lang Syne. He had to really wail on it to try and drown out the guy who was gacking on the double "A" in that triad.

Edited by Russellrks

In addition to Jon Schipper who was one of the best rounded players I've ever met, 1995 was a great year for soprano players overall in the Scouts. It's just that Jon got so much press time, that sometimes they got missed. Any one of the lead players from that year could have easily been on the superstars list at another corps less blessed with talent, as well as many of the seconds. That sop line was by far the most talented line all the way down that I have had a chance to play with, and possibly one of the best collections ever.

One other great sop player of mention: Tim Meehan - BD, SCV, X-Men, VK - I never thought any one thing he played was "outstanding" however, you have to give props to someone who has played solos in this many top-notch corps.

I'm showing my youth here but the guy that comes to mind who can scream and play a really gorgeous ballad would be the BD guy from 2000(maybe before that)-2001. Good tone, could scream, and played some nice mid range and ballad stuff.

Yeah, he was awesome. His name is Jeff Lynn and he was also the soloist in 2002. I think he did Blast! after he was done.