How did Santa Clara win in 89?

The point?  SC and PR were really close all the way around...except in drums...

Sam I agree. The problem is, SCV's brass score shouldn't even have been in the same ball park as PR, let alone a tenth difference. Should at least have been a half point spread. Guess what happens then? SCV loses by .10? Wasn't going to happen.

Rocketman - the Conspiracy Lives!

ampssuck

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I LOVE Phantom of the Opera. I LOVE Phantom 89... from a music standpoint. This was a show that I heard before I watched, and the visual took away from the overall effect, BIG TIME! I still love the show, but when I watched SCV 89, I got goosebumps from the company front to the end.

... I would have loved to say the same about Phantom Regiment. SCV's show was sold to the audience (or me).

SCV's '89 show is, to me personally, one of the most compelling shows I have ever heard.  Its not only the music, the orchestration, and the execution, its just the feeling the show has.  In the company front during music of the night, you can almost, I don't even know how to describe it, but you can feel the members making this final push.  It must have been amazing to be on the field for that show that night.

Phantom's show just doesn't feel as special to me.  This is just my personal feelings on the shows, as both were wonderful, and honestly, it could have gone either way. 

Percussion does tip it towards Vanguard though.

I completely agree. I think the thing that sent the championship the way of SCV was something that one can't really put a finger on. There was something special from the heart of the corps that night that sent it over the top. I still get chills when I watch that show in its entirety. SCV just connected as a unit that night and had something special in the air. I agree it could have gone either way coming into that night, but I believe that's what pushed them over the edge.

I LOVE Phantom of the Opera.  I LOVE Phantom 89... from a music standpoint.  This was a show that I heard before I watched, and the visual took away from the overall effect, BIG TIME!  I still love the show, but when I watched SCV 89, I got goosebumps from the company front to the end.

... I would have loved to say the same about Phantom Regiment.  SCV's show was sold to the audience (or me).

The visual TOOK AWAY? Really?

And what a product that was.  To me, mistakes and all, that show evokes such emotions ranging from goosebumps, choke-ups, tears, and huge smiles that make '89 Vanguard the best show I've ever seen.  It is the complete package from an outstanding arrangement, color guard (the moment where the guard is crouched, then rises displaying the ribboned black flag chokes me up, and I'm not a guard person at all), to the powerfull, powerfull company front (not completely sync'd visually, but the snare player bobbing his head shows me complete immersion and intensity with the moment).  Just a beautiful, beautiful show--and magic, too.   

--Scott

and Phantoms bad drumming at spots aside, i loved theSCV snares playing bumper cars at finals...i've never seen intervals stretch and shrink like an accordian like that at finals...and bumping into each other was poor.

dropping a tenor mallet may have cleaned up the feature but there was that very forced single stroke fivelet in the feature that is as as dirty as phantoms moments.

Edited by jeffsnewjetta

Well...Here is how SCV won in 1989.

A group of people referred to as "judges" gave their "expert" opinion on the matter on what we refer to as "Finals Night."

They decided that the "Glory" should go to a group called the "Santa Clara Vanguard."

This is how SCV won.

Sorry, just trying to have fun, I enjoy both shows and do not try to call myself a judge, so I do not have an honest opinion.

Sam I agree. The problem is, SCV's brass score shouldn't even have been in the same ball park as PR, let alone a tenth difference. Should at least have been a half point spread. Guess what happens then? SCV loses by .10? Wasn't going to happen.

Rocketman - the Conspiracy Lives!

ampssuck

brass judges here things completely differently on the field, they don't hear everything that the audience hears. you have to remember that.

I personally feel that SCV had the show finals night. I really like both shows but it was SCV's on finals night. They had that thing that you always want to feel when you're in uniform, the thing where everything just clicks.

I think the thing here is that PR was great from a percision aspect, but SCV took everyone on an emotional high not everyone can get. So if you go back out of the moment you may see why PR should have won, even though they didn't. I kinda feel that same way when I watch '96. I love the PR show and the amazing emotion the pour out in that ending, but I could also argue the BD was the better corps. That's why I'm glad I don't judge.

I'd have to agree and disagree. I feel that no matter which one the judges picked I would have agreed with it. I easily can see why a judge would put down the number they did, and I can see for both corps why they could have put a different number. To me it doesn't bother me who was declared 1st. They both had outstanding shows.