some old corps photos

Nope, you are very correct and it's embarrasing to have been caught doing it, but I have to tell you had I been able to take just a few drags prior to taking the field of competition I could have alleviated the panic attacks, ulcers, and wishing I could faint when they said "is the corps ready".

I hear that! I don't remember a time when I wasn't at least a little nervous before the starter's pistol... (yea, I'm THAT old...LOL)

I really and truly needed medication - that's how terrified I was for 75% of the performances I did thru my lifetime. Instructors used to say chill, you can do this in your sleep, you've got this. (Yeah, live in my head for one show!) :tongue: That wasn't the point. Dropping equipment is just so friggin obvious and it is a blatant mistake

I've had that happen as well.... 74 Hurcs. (I know it's not the 27th but it was me....)

unlike being off key unless it's a solo and although we were a team it sometimes felt to me that we were soloists.

Been there too as both a horn player missing an attack or release and I've cracked a note or two as a soloist...

If we dropped everyone knew it.

And it seemed like (when it did happen) it would always happen in front of the judge AND Moe Knox...

LOL... As a DM I worried that I would forget a song or how to start it! I do remember getting a cramp in my right arm during the concert in one of the shows in 1983.

I wouldn't mind a do over, web redemption, whatever, just to have enjoyed the field of competition as much as I enjoyed the practice field.

And your show ended the same way every time I saw 27th perform, "we" were on our feet screaming and clapping...

Also, then males could smoke in uni, females couldn't.

My two Jr Corps were both all male and we weren't allowed to smoke while wearing our uniform, public or anywhere. (I'm not saying we didn't, just that it wasn't allowed... hehe)

However, I don't believe I ever did it in public proper, this was at our hotel, and we were loading the busses for Foxboro for the moment of truth with only our people there, but again that is NO EXCUSE!

I was just bustin'... :worthy:

If it had been the early 70s I would have been wearing that cigarette on my nose or in my ear. Ike would have made sure of that. He kind of mellowed with age. I'm sure most have heard the stories......he was sometimes very scary to a 12 year old. God Bless Ike. :worthy::worthy:

When I met my wife (Donna) she and her mom lived in Revere. Her mom went to school with Mr B.... Donna marched in the Majestic Knights, (Charlestown) I kid her that if she HAD marched in 27th we never would have met and married. We met in the Renegades (RCA Corps from Everett) in 1970 and married in 1971. (for those that don't remember or know about the Drum Corps' of the 60's a guy marching in BAC would not have married a gal marching with 27th BITD... LOL No disrespect meant, that was just the way it was way back then. I'm amazed at how many friends I have today that marched in rivalry Corps back then and even more surprised at how many marriages survived to today like ours.... (next year will be our 40th!)

Ahhhh my best friend on DCP!

Knights (Ladies and Gentlemen, could it be, our one and only DCP member tommytimp?)

JodeenbookI048.jpg

Knights (Ladies and Gentlemen, could it be, our one and only DCP member tommytimp?)

JodeenbookI048.jpg

Hmm. I can't see it on the computer where I am now.

Hmm. I can't see it on the computer where I am now.

Black & white photo....probably the 85 show (purple unis with the cross on the chest....Jesus Christ, Superstar, I think), both mallets up like you're preparing for a double-stop.....and you're looking down like you just lost your music! :tongue:

Yes, 'White Tiger-stripe Pearl' was what Slingerland called this finish. We had the same white 'tiger stripe' from 1969 to 1971. Personally, I never cared for it. (I thought it was gaudy looking.)

When our 'tiger' snares got waterlogged in the Barnum Festival deluge of 1970, we borrowed Ludwig chrome snares for the rest of the season and bought our own metal snares new for 1971. The bass drums, the first-ever double congas, and our triple-bass were still the 'tiger stripe' through 1971.

JodeenbookI048.jpg

Tommy it look like you have a Jolly Rancher in your mouth.

I hear that! I don't remember a time when I wasn't at least a little nervous before the starter's pistol... (yea, I'm THAT old...LOL)

I've had that happen as well.... 74 Hurcs. (I know it's not the 27th but it was me....)

Please don't say that, the field is the field......

Been there too as both a horn player missing an attack or release and I've cracked a note or two as a soloist...

Understood!

And it seemed like (when it did happen) it would always happen in front of the judge AND Moe Knox...

LOL... As a DM I worried that I would forget a song or how to start it! I do remember getting a cramp in my right arm during the concert in one of the shows in 1983.

Of course and that must have been a nightmare worry of yours, but I bet it never happened!

And your show ended the same way every time I saw 27th perform, "we" were on our feet screaming and clapping...

Thanks, but for some reason, I could have a good show and the staff would say that was not good....

When I met my wife (Donna) she and her mom lived in Revere. Her mom went to school with Mr B.... Donna marched in the Majestic Knights, (Charlestown) I kid her that if she HAD marched in 27th we never would have met and married. We met in the Renegades (RCA Corps from Everett) in 1970 and married in 1971. (for those that don't remember or know about the Drum Corps' of the 60's a guy marching in BAC would not have married a gal marching with 27th BITD... LOL No disrespect meant, that was just the way it was way back then. I'm amazed at how many friends I have today that marched in rivalry Corps back then and even more surprised at how many marriages survived to today like ours.... (next year will be our 40th!)

Believe me, I had 2 older sisters involved with the BAC stuff along with my dad, I remember that as a young girl some of it scared me, but you're right, that was the way the game was played back then. It's wonderful that you'll be reaching 40 years....God Bless!

I don't know how to separate quotes, so I bolded my responses....thanks for some interesting info, I enjoyed it! :tongue:

Believe me, I had 2 older sisters involved with the BAC stuff along with my dad, I remember that as a young girl some of it scared me, but you're right, that was the way the game was played back then.

Sad looking back on that time on our great activity.... I think often about how many friends that I didn't get to meet BITD... :worthy:

It's wonderful that you'll be reaching 40 years....God Bless!

Thank you! The one thing I KNOW is I am is Blessed. God put us together and for that I am thankful every day. :tongue:

I don't know how to separate quotes, so I bolded my responses....thanks for some interesting info, I enjoyed it! :worthy:

I think I literally spend months messing up the "quote" thing till I figured out that all I needed to do be sure that the part I was replying to had the "[ quote ]" (start quote) in the beginning and the "[ /quote ]" (end quote) at the end.... LOL (see I had to edit this post. I added the spaces so it won't actually quote...hehe)

DCP makes a lot of the quoting much easier because all we have to do is left click (highlight) what we want to quote and click the "Wrap in quote tags" button above the text box where all of this is typed...

See, this old dog can learn some thing new! :worthy:

Edited by TennTux

This thread (and a couple of others here) have been a real education for me! Growing up in the Midwest, in my mind, Wisconsin (especially Racine), Illinois and the East Coast were always the 'hot-beds' of drum corps. I had no idea how many corps were from Ontario Canada - the whole Toronto metro, Hamilton, Kitchener, Guelph, etc. area was amazing 'back in the day'!!