Biggest messups in DCI history?

i'd take 89 or 93 as a mistake before 91. Glory rocked!

Make it '89 then. I was thinking of the "Interstellar Suite" show that they did and couldn't recall the year.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1977 Crossmen drum major does a tremendous toss and catch of a mace at the beginning of the show. The crowd is giving him some love and he promptly jumps up on his podium and falls off the side.

It was 2001 I think at the BD home show and a girl in the Mandarins Guard had her top fall down exposing her breasts during a company front halt thing.  She held it there for a good 15 seconds and I couldn't believe what I saw but then she went on with the show and her next throw she NAILED IT!

That was the best recovery from an embarrassing slip up I have ever seen!

:music:

When SCV introduced the new guard skirts in '83 a week before finals one of the guardmembers lost her skirt at a show in the Tampa Bay area. Her skirt wasn't fitting her well because of the amount of weight she had lost during the summer.

Was told this - but was too young to be there. 1969 Kilties drum major - after concert - forgets to give the command "Horns up" - and proceeds to give a "Mark time march" command. The hornline freaked - some raise their horns to play - others didn't. Need some dinosaur to confirm this.

(Pre-DCI I know, but a huge contributor to DCI when it was formed.)

I've got an older one than that...1966 St Lucy's at VFW or AL States in wildwood...on a Stetson Richmond album I have...at the start of their concert number you hear these isolated beeps and boops coming out of the hornline...a pause....then the number kicks off as normal.

The same thing had happened..the DM had started the tune without first bringing up the horns...it wasn't the great Cabs DM Jimmy Russo, I found out recently...he was St Lucy's DM after that...though he was probably in the hornline.

Garfield 1970 VFW Nats in Miami...we did a Brazilian tune called (not sure on the spelling) "Laia la Daia" (prounounced Lie-uh luh Die-uh)...it started with a baritone duet...I have a CD of that show, and for whatever reason the two baris seemed to forget the music...one would play and trail off and then the other would kick in a few notes and trail off...absolutely awful...I have no memory of what happened.

On a funnier note...announcers NEVER could pronounce that tune...one called it "Lay a Lady"!!!! :P

In our exit at 71 World Open, the rifles did this spin thing, then turned to march off to the endzone...for some reason, AFTER the spin and turn one of the girls just seemed to drop her rifle for no apparent reason what-so-ever..it's on the DVD I just bought of the show.

Mike

Ever hear the second screech soloist at the end of Kilties' "Auld Lang Syne" (pyramiding screech chord feature) in 1975? I remember being in the stands after performing and hearing it live.

Mike

Didn't he continue to try to hit the note even after he missed it?

I've got an older one than that...1966 St Lucy's at VFW or AL States in wildwood...on a Stetson Richmond album I have...at the start of their concert number you hear these isolated beeps and boops coming out of the hornline...a pause....then the number kicks off as normal.

The same thing had happened..the DM had started the tune without first bringing up the horns...it wasn't the great Cabs DM Jimmy Russo, I found out recently...he was St Lucy's DM after that...though he was probably in the hornline.

Garfield 1970 VFW Nats in Miami...we did a Brazilian tune called (not sure on the spelling) "Laia la Daia" (prounounced Lie-uh luh Die-uh)...it started with a baritone duet...I have a CD of that show, and for whatever reason the two baris seemed to forget the music...one would play and trail off and then the other would kick in a few notes and trail off...absolutely awful...I have no memory of what happened.

On a funnier note...announcers NEVER could pronounce that tune...one called it "Lay a Lady"!!!!    :P

In our exit at 71 World Open, the rifles did this spin thing, then turned to march off to the endzone...for some reason, AFTER the spin and turn one of the girls just seemed to drop her rifle for no apparent reason what-so-ever..it's on the DVD I just bought of the show.

Mike

I can go older than that. 1960 VFW Finals, a member of St. Kevin's steps over the sideline not once but twice during the same song, costing the corps 2 points and possibly the championship. The song at the time: "This Was Nearly Mine".