2007 Rose Bowl - Pasedena

Just like all of you from the Left Coast are excited that DCI Finals appears to be headed out that way, I from the Right Coast would rather have it in Buffalo EVERY year.

Anyway ... keep my word "appears" in mind -- back around 1990-91-92, DCI did announced a "permanent" finals rotation ... which included Jackson, Miss.; East Lansing, Mich.; and Jacksonville, Fla. Anyone around in 1993 knows Jackson was a mistake, and Finals never made it either of the other two.

Pasadena -- as an avid college and pro football fan, that's a beautiful stadium to watch the Rose Bowl in, but I don't know about a single-deck stadium for Finals.

As a New York Yankees fan, I guess if I can let the Red Sox win the World Series once every 86 years I can let DCI take Finals to California once every 33 years.

- R -

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Less hot in Pasadena than other places in August?  This year maybe, but we had a lot of rain and it's been a mild summer.  I'm also thinking more of the outlying areas where the corps would be staying and practicing.  As Ryan mentioned there are serious issues here with rehearsal places.  It's a desert out there.  DCI has never experienced southern CA in August.  You'll see.

The hotel prices immediate to the stadium would be about the same as Boston, but Boston is a much more condensed city.  You can get cheaper accomodations not too far away.  There is also public transportation in Boston and virtually none here.  LA is very spread out and a cheaper hotel that's good could be many miles from the stadium.

I'm still trying to figure out the rationale.  The Rose Bowl is a distinct step down from the state of the art brand spankin new finals stadiums of recent years.  The LA/Pasadena community is one of the least drum corps minded in the US.  I guess they got it cheap.

Hey quit complainin'! Maybe Mike and I will get to see you guys perform this trip!! At least we'll be in town longer than one day..

:)

Stef

I like the idea of the Rose Bowl for finals...I think there is a case for the mystique of the venue coupled with an ESPN2 contract which would be appealing. I think these venues which are well known to the general public adds credibility to the activity. Kudos to DCI and I look forward to perhaps heading out there for a great get away from the Midwest.

Less hot in Pasadena than other places in August?  This year maybe, but we had a lot of rain and it's been a mild summer.

"This year maybe"?? Please tell me you were joking. This year and every year, you mean, right?

There is no way you can tell me that Pasadena is worse or even the same as the East, the Mid-West, the South or even CenCal this time of the year. H###, it's hotter in Fresno (where temps average upper 90s-100 almost every day) then Pasadena in the summer. Rain or no rain. In fact, I was part of two corps that practiced in that wonderful Central Valley heat. I've also lived in Fresno, near Pasadena ,(Azusa) and the South, (Plano, TX) and believe me, Pasadena is no South! In fact, after living in the Dallas area, I told myself I would never complain about the weather ever again after moving back to CA.

You've marched in drum corps before, haven't you? You know what the weather is like back there this time of the year. The weather there and here is the same EVERY year.

Geezy creezy! <$1.00 to Eddie Izzard> Never in my wildest nightmares would I ever think that weather would be an excuse against finals in CA!!!

And... to cut this one off at the pass since I saw it in another thread...

The Earthquake Excuse...

There are at least 10 to 15 quakes EVERDAY in CA. In fact, if you look at the lower left-hand corner, you'll see something that says "378 earthquakes on this map." That's in one week, ladies and gentlemen.

index_map.gif

Here are some questions for you...

In the entire history of drum corps (DCI & pre-DCI), how many shows have been canceled because of an earthquake?

Answer: A big fat zero

In the history of just DCI alone, how many shows have been canceled because of rain?

Answer: Well, it would take more fingers and toes then I've got.

Any other excuses we can come up with against finals in CA because I'm starting to get tired of hearing all the whining?!

Anyway ... keep my word "appears" in mind -- back around 1990-91-92, DCI did announced a "permanent" finals rotation ... which included Jackson, Miss.; East Lansing, Mich.; and Jacksonville, Fla. Anyone around in 1993 knows Jackson was a mistake, and Finals never made it either of the other two.

I was there at the mistake that was Jackson, Miss. Talk about hot!!! But I also remember the rotation idea with the fourth year being a wildcard year. Boston 1994 was the first wildcard location. I also remember around then there were all the shootings of vacationers driving rental cars in Jacksonville, Fla. area People were REAL anxious about the possibilities of DCI in Jacksonville!!!

long overdue move by DCI, and one of the few big decisions they have made the last few years that makes sense

Less hot in Pasadena than other places in August?  This year maybe, but we had a lot of rain and it's been a mild summer.  I'm also thinking more of the outlying areas where the corps would be staying and practicing.  As Ryan mentioned there are serious issues here with rehearsal places.  It's a desert out there.  DCI has never experienced southern CA in August.  You'll see.

Anywhere back East or down South in August: Humidity 98%

Anywhere in California: Humidity 54%

I grew up in Tennessee. Believe me when I say that 95 degrees in California feels NOTHING like 95 degrees in Tennessee, or Georgia, or Florida, or Indiana, or Missouri, or Virginia, or..... you get the idea. As long as the kids stay hydrated and have a good stock of sunscreen and DCT, there should be no problems.

Speaking of Valencia though I think that College of the Canyons (in Valencia) would be a great place to hold the Div II/III Championships.  It's the largest stadium in the area that I know of other than the Rose Bowl.  Significantly nicer and larger than Mt. SAC's or PCC's, and the school has more than enough parking for the Corps' trucks and Busses to park at the school instead of having to park down the street and around the corner and wherever else so that there's room for the spectators to park (I know that was a problem at one of the SoCal shows this year with the High School not having room for more than a couple busses on the campus.  There's be plenty of school's for housing the corps in; in SCV (where Valencia is) there are 6 high schools, 6 Jr. Highs, and more elementary schools than I know about, then there's Northridge, Chatsworth, Granada Hills, etc all close to Valencia.

The only problem with Santa Clarita is the weather... CAN BE WAY TOO HOT!

But you are right, its a great venue. Mt Sac would be great, Citrus College would work, as would Long Beach City College. My personal favorite would be Cal State Fullerton, awesome stadium that never gets used. About 5,000 concert side seats in a bowl.