DCP Official ESPN2 DCI Broadcast Reaction Thread

Hey, you know what I really liked? I thought that the part where the brass players talked about the stereotypical characterizations of their voicings was funny (and true). The sopranos ARE always right even if the euphoniums think that they know they are right  :) .

Euphoniums know they are right but have enough class not to brag about it. :P

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't there a point when we're going to accept that there's no real debate left on this issue?

People are going to complain, people are going to complain about the complaining, people are going to try and refute the complaints about the complaining, no one is going to win, and most everyone is already sick of it.

Isn't there a point when we're going to accept that there's no real debate left on this issue?

People are going to complain,  people are going to complain about the complaining, people are going to try and refute the complaints about the complaining, no one is going to win, and most everyone is already sick of it.

But think of all the material we have for our next podcasts! :D

Wow, I just wanted to contribute to one of the longest threads I've ever seen.

I feel special to be a part of this.

On the other hand, I liked ESPN2 better than PBS. More of my friends were willing to watch it and actually watched it on their own.

Qoute from my trumpet playing friend: "Wow, I really like the Blue Devils. They were good. The trumpets were way up there. The green team should have won. I liked the black (PR) better though."

Educating about drum corps...one silly trumpet at a time. :P

I'm a bit late to the thread, but I saw the broadcast and was mainly watching for what all they showed besides the actual show clips... and was amazed at what I saw (particularly the segment where they showed the top-down views of both the Cavvies' show and the Pyware drill).

I learned a LOT about the "off-the-field" aspects of the activity, and was very satisfied with what I saw (well, with the exception of one particular commercial...)

OK, this is not meant to be negative, but I am a bit curious about something.

I keep seeing that the DCI broadcast was not "aimed" at people on here.

I am interested to know how many people think that complete, non-marching music, never heard of corps people watched the broadcast.

What I mean is, how many people tuned into espn2 looking for sportscenter, found DCI, and stayed and watched the whole thing.

Everyone I work with in a large athletic club knows I was involved in corps, I told many of them it was on, and not a one has said anything to  me about the broadcast.

Of those who watched WITH non corps people, how many would have watched on their own without prompting.

OK PART 2

I am assuming DCI paid for the airtime on ESPN2, if thats the case, why should ESPN2 be able to dictate what is on the broadcast? (this is in response to posts which said espn2 only wanted segments of shows)

I am curious how many viewers espn2 thought were going to watch this, I can't imagine they were counting on it to win the ratings war.

again, I am not being negative, just curious as to how it all went down because I was generally dissatisfied with the broadcast.

As with most posts I have read here, it seems pretty much everyone falls into 2 camps, 1) happy it was on at all, and 2) wish they had shown more of the shows.

anyone have any actual answers and not just speculation? (although speculkation is welcome)

maybe some did, maybe some didn't.

but lots of band kids out there have never really seen drum corps period, and it was aimed at them.

the broadcast conent was in part determined by ESPN, and DCi did a good job filling in the blanks. Was it perfect/ no, but odds are DCi is happy and learned things that could be done better last year.

thru the grapevine today, I heard ESPN got 450,000 tvs tuned into the show...more than expected. When you add in many people watched per tv in many homes, probably a million people saw it.

i'll lay odds 3/4 of those people now a lot more about corps than they did going in.

Thanks for those who responded to my post regarding programming.

I understand there are guidelines for espn2 and networks, such as no nudity and so on, but I find it hard to believe that ESPN2 really believes that it understands better than DCI how to market a Drum Corps show.

Then again, how much of the design of the program was ESPN2 and how much was DCI? I have no idea so I don't want to be harsh with espn2

any more insight would be great, and thanks again for thos who responded to my questions.

you'd be surprised. ESPN sent DCI the same message PBS did...full shows aren't drawing in viewers. if DCI wanted to do it the old way, no tv network would take them.

whether you, me or DCI agree, tha's wat they were told. so they made the best of it and went from there.

btw, if the 450,000 viewers number is true, DCI did more than most NHL games did in 2003-2004