Your thoughts on DCA corps going to B flat horns?

Now that would be something to see... kinda taking a page from Blast! and having everything together. Is there a corps out there with the guts to do something like this?

Westshore Alumni does it already.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree 100.5%

Bb horn has tone quality, however, the G horn has tone quantity.

G horn can provide, both, quality and quantity of sound. If we get "too pretty".........we may as well merge with DCI.

I

We are getting off topic again.

Please reserve this thread for the discussion of B flat instrumentation and the corps that have switched to them.

Thanks.

Please reserve this thread for the discussion of B flat instrumentation and the corps that have switched to them.

Thanks.

The story that is going around is that the DCA corps that initially switched to Bb did so because the instrument manufactureres gave them a set of horns for free. If this is true, it seems that the activity is being driven by the bottom line. The sad part is that other DCA corps (like DCI) will be forced to switch just to stay competitive in the eyes of the judges.

The story that is going around is that the DCA corps that initially switched to Bb did so because the instrument manufactureres gave them a set of horns for free. If this is true, it seems that the activity is being driven by the bottom line. The sad part is that other DCA corps (like DCI) will be forced to switch just to stay competitive in the eyes of the judges.

What isn't driven by the "Bottom Line"? I'm just sayin'.......

Thanks.

Three other reasons I heard for corps switching to Bb horns...

1) The members coming in from bands wouldn't have to adjust to the change in pitch. (Agree, but barely.)

2) The corps could rent out the horns to bands in the off-season. (True, but how many do this?)

3) The ensemble intonation will improve. (Can't agree. The mellophones are in F, not Bb, and are still an individual intonation nightmare. Replace the F mellos with Bb frenchies and we can talk.)

Good discussion.

Don't ask me. The only brass I play is a pair of cymbals.

Even then, they're not brass.

OK, so what key are your cymbals in? :P

to me, a percussionist, from a listening standpoint, the key doesn't matter. it's the sound you produce, and the quality that goes with it.

In that case, what's your stance on kevlar v. mylar? :D

Three other reasons I heard for corps switching to Bb horns...

1) The members coming in from bands wouldn't have to adjust to the change in pitch. (Agree, but barely.)

2) The corps could rent out the horns to bands in the off-season. (True, but how many do this?)

3) The ensemble intonation will improve. (Can't agree. The mellophones are in F, not Bb, and are still an individual intonation nightmare. Replace the F mellos with Bb frenchies and we can talk.)

Good discussion.

Another reason was that new corps could borrow horns from local marching bands or have members bring in their own horns to play on, thus reducing instrument cost, at least in the short term.

:rolleyes:

Personally, I voted for the squirrel!

:P

All kidding aside, I will render only my observations on how/why MBI chose to purchase Bb/F horns this past season. Official management disclosure will have to come from them.

1. The package deal - horns and percussion. Getting both items from one vendor made great sense, in comparison to buying one or the other from different people.

2. Marketing and support.

3. Resale value - even though I think the ability to move nearly new G horns would be just as lucrative as the Bb/F, what with the influx of newer All-age corps starting up, most of them wanting to stay with G horns.

4. The quality of the instruments themselves and the ability to play in tune better.

I would like to know however, how much difference there would be in playing in tune with new G horns in comparison to new Bb/F's..No matter what key you're in, players still have to put air through the instruments, regardless of key. I personally feel that many of today's younger players won't 'blow' the horns like the old school players...or can't. Sorry, gang, too old school.

Pat

The only real way to do that is to either

a) be inactive for the year you lease them out

b) don't start your season until after marching band season

c) have an extra line of horns to rent out.

I don't know of any DCA finalist corps that start their seasons in late january/early february. Although there have been some who have historically only made it to DCA every other year. And then there's that school starting before labor day issue. And marching season ending after most corps seasons have started. And the business versus not-for-profit classifications.

As far as people owning their horns and being able to use theirs. Outside of trumpets, I don't see that happening for Bb's. While mellophones are odd instruments, I don't ever see myself going out of my way to own one. And while I love my Kanstul Euph, it has no real world application outside of drumcorps. And with no local drumcorps, sometimes I wish I had a Wilson compensating Euph to play in some local band, which does exist, and is much more acce$$ible than drumcorps. At least until 2007 when there will finally be a local corps. Although by that time I would probably have relocated for employment in some other drumcorps deprived region.