Why can't we let the Cadets be the Cadets?

If they want to make capital A "Art" (as you represent) George and his designers shouldn't be pursuing it at the expense of a youth activity, by using their clout to push DCI into what THEY see as the future. They should have the balls to make art with the adults, in the adult art world, where these more serious issues are handled. Corps is for kids to experience being part of something larger than themselves, not playing out the tired and lame artistic pretensions of someone who's afraid to grow up. If the choreographers & composers and visual artist of the Cadets really are so far beyond what anyone else in the activity is capable of, they would be working in the real world of choreography and composition and visual art, but they are not. So let's keep talk about "Art" and "Creativity" and "Innovation" in perspective, shall we?

Get your facts accurate before making an ignorant comment like the one in bold.

Thank you

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate the sincerity of your post but not your hypocrisy. You’re telling everybody to stop bashing the changes, which have occurred in Drum Corps yet you say;

“It is no longer" Drum and bugle corps : Tradition, history, repetitivness"

In other words, YOU can have an opinion but we can’t. We’re entitled to our opinion as much as you. We marched before you were born and put in as much blood, sweat and tears as the kids that march today. We built the activity you enjoy today and we don’t like amps, singing, or woodwind instruments.

Deal with it.

Greg Parvin

Anaheim Kingsmen

WW are not legal elements of DCI drum corps...amps and singing are.

Who is this 'We' you refer to? I started in 64, yet I disagree with you 100%.

No, "singing does belong" is an opinion, just as much "singing doesn't belong." However, "singing is allowed," is a fact. But just because something is allowed doesn't mean it belongs in the activity. Marching a drumline of 50 members is allowed, so is it a fact that it belongs? My opinion on that would have to be no, but others have a full right to say yes if they choose.

Drumlines do belong to drum corps. How many is enough or too much is a matter of opinion, but like amps and micced voice drumlines do belong.

Some DO want DCI back to 1975.

hey ya know what...75 was a great year!

and there are many that may disagree. that's the beauty of it all.

but remember, attendance numbers from 1975 blow the numbers today away, no matter how much spin DCI puts on it

so by your logic, if i dont go to the opera, my empty seat is hurting opera performers?

:wall:

Uh - YES! (isn't it obvious?)

You say you "respect the kids" and yet fail to show up to support their efforts. Sorry - but I don't get that. You are the one putting more emphasis on the designer's choices than those of us who just go and enjoy things we like and kinda of "look the other way" for the things we dont like or could live without. A prime example is the Cadets - I didn't like the Bjork speak segment at ALL last year - but that didn't keep me from enjoying their entire program at finals or keep me from realizing as they marched off the field it was one of the greatest performances in DCI history. I am not going to let Marc Sylvester ruin that for me.

Wow, this thread has got it all.

Personally, I am getting tired of this subject coming up. The Cadets are a fine drum corps. They have produced many shows considered to be classics in this activity, and they have entertained fans for generations. They occasionally do some silly stuff, and then usually rectify the situation. They have a fine alumni association, and many wonderful members and staff who work for the corps. It's funny how none of this comes up when bashing the most current installment of the corps, or when bashing the supposed direction that all of you think George Hopkins is taking the corps.

1. None of us know for sure where this corps will go next.

2. None of us know how they will fix the problems in their current show.

3. None of us really know what GH is thinking, or what his long term plans are for the Cadets.

What we all have are opinions and theories. I respect those of you who do not like the Cadets, or simply do not like the modern version of this corps. And I feel you SHOULD vent your frustrations. You have a right to, and it is important that you share that. And for those of you who like the Cadets and maybe also like this current installment, just let it go. Don't feel as though you need to defend them all the time, just state your opinions as well, but do so without telling the other guy he's wrong.

What we all have are opinions and theories. I respect those of you who do not like the Cadets, or simply do not like the modern version of this corps. And I feel you SHOULD vent your frustrations. You have a right to, and it is important that you share that. And for those of you who like the Cadets and maybe also like this current installment, just let it go. Don't feel as though you need to defend them all the time, just state your opinions as well, but do so without telling the other guy he's wrong.

:wall: And speaking for myself, I get a chance early on each season to see what is being done regarding amps and vocals. If I like what is on the field I will start attending Div I shows (if possible). So far I don't like which is my right. And those who do appreciate or like it and go to the shows... s'cool.