Madison Scouts Alumni Project!

This is what I said about the corps last night...

I turned to my 8 year old son as we watch this on season pass and told him with cloudy eyes, "Son, this is what drum corps used to be like".

I'm glad to see there are people still passionate about drum corps and making US the fans happy to see them. I know each of them must have saw themselves 20 (or more) years ago as they stood there on the field. Glad to see some of the "old timers" I knew from years ago and competed against. Thank you Madison Scouts Alumni for all your hard work. Your fans appreciated every second of it!

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just returned home from the semi-finals in Madison. I must say, in all the years I have been attending drum corps shows, last night's show by the Madison Scouts Alumni corps was the most thrilling experience I have ever had in drum corps. It was truly a thrill of a lifetime. From the crowd's reaction, I do not think I was the only one who reacted this way!

Vic Russell

What an amazing night we had. After aging out of the scouts in 1987, I never thought I'd have the opportunity to do this again. We had 240 men, all of whom marched in the scouts at some point in their lives. We had an original founding member of the 1938 scouts and also recent age outs. It was an amazing year getting to know all the brothers who came before me and after me as well as rekindle old friendships.

I can't begin to explain the emotion we had taking the field and having Camp Randall erupt like we were teenagers again. Playing the Madison classics and lighting up thousands of people. A night I will never forget.

We did get to sing "You'll Never Walk Alone" on Wednesday night with the current Madison Scouts at our home show. We had over 400 men singing. The very large crowd was absolutley silent.

Its been an amazing few days.

Thank you to the guys who put this together for us. and Thank you to the crowd who went crazy and made me feel 21 again!

will still pay for pix of you and your tambourine

Maybe you mean "Memories"? :) :P

I think they did both of those tunes.

Thank you everyone for those kind comments. Most of all, thank you for coming to see us. We did this for you. The Madison Scouts have always been about the audience they perform for. You are what makes us want to be special, so thank you, everyone. ^OO^

Let me address some of the questions that have not yet been answered...

The kids were paying attention. They watched, enjoyed and made sure to tell us so. B)

The presentation of uniforms during Rememberance was a presentation of historical uniforms and not a way of jabbing at the current Scouts. The first thing this project did was to get the blessing of the current Scouts BOD as well as to agree to support the current Scouts. We are all brothers and we are all connected by the same bond. :unsure:

We did not use amps, we used raw human power! :worthy: The color guard did vocalize "yah, woo" during Ballet in Brass. There was a couple of grunts from the drum line and a full corps grunt at the end of the show. ^0^

My kids (7 and 5) saw us in Sun Prairie and loved the show. My five-year-old son's one disappointment was "I couldn't see you because you all look the same." :worthy: b**bs

So thank you everyone who came to see us at the MATC parking lot in June, at the Sun Prairie HS band show in July, at Mansfield Stadium on Wednesday and, of course, at Camp Randall. If it were not for you, we would not have done this! You all are the best! :unsure:

:unsure::unsure::worthy:

Ya know, not for nothing, but I am getting just a bit tired of certain folks (certainly not all, just a couple, in fact, one each from two different corps) taking digs at the Bridgemen and Anaheim alumni projects. These two groups don't have the luxury of having a CURRENTLY ACTIVE CORPS continually filling their alumnus ranks. Considering the last time a Bridgemen aged out was almost two decades ago, the membership HAD to be open.

Besides, I never could have BECOME a Bridgemen since I never WAS a Bridgemen before. And I can tell you that I don't feel at all like a "wannabe". I feel like a Bridgemen.

As to the Scouts.... CAN'T FRIGGIN' WAIT to get your DVD, wish I could have been there. I can only imagine how you lit that place up. Kudos, mad props, bravo, etc!!!! Way to GO!

Thats fine...just don't call it an "alumni" corps if it really isn't!

Jeff,

I played Timpani, Bells, Marimba and of course Tambourine. I'd take pix of any of those.

By the way, to respond to someone's earlier post, the older gentleman in the frontline (pit) was Bill Gandt. He played Bell Lyre in the Scouts from 1953-1957. It was an honor to play with Bill and all the brothers from all of our rich history.

One of the greatest joys for me was being on the field with an ORIGINAL Madison Scout who was in the corps when it was formed in 1938. He was an inspiration to us all.

will still pay for pix of you and your tambourine

Just saw the DVD at the Stadium bar tonight on the big screen (about 8 times!)

There was a great close up of Joe jamming on his tamborine. :)

You will all love the DVD by the way. Last night when I went back to my hotel,

I was thinking how fun it was and how well we performed, but still had questions in

my mind about how we looked and sounded. When I saw the DVD today, I was

blown away. The Fluer-De-Lis was absolutely perfect, the drumline was

insane and the horns were just spot on. I'm so proud to be part of this group.

So, anyway.....get the DVD. You'll be glad you did!

And how about that CYMBAL LINE!!!!???? :unsure:

"Chonus", "Clyde", "Ewok", "Hometown", "Spiff", "Duece", and "Geddy" It was an absolute pleasure - and thrill - to 'slam 'em' with these guys! "We come ridin into town...just a whompin' and a stompin'"!

A great big "yeeeeee-haaaaaa" to all my Madison Brothers - you were - and still are - the greatest! Thank you...and thanks to the fantastic organizers, the dedicated staff and instructors, and of course to all the fans who made this project a resounding success. 2006 will be a year I'll never forget!

"Calvin"

Americanos (Toros) DM '83-'85

Scouts Plates '87

Scouts Alumni Reunion Project Plates '06

P.S. When do we get the music/drill for "Memories" from Cats?! :unsure: :D

:worthy: