Salas OUT as Director of Scouts!

Well, you don't get much fresher than the drill the Scouts put out in 2006, along with the BD-esque book they played along with it. There's not many places left to go...old school doesn't cut it anymore, the new school ideas seem to have led to Sal's departure...

How do you rectify the old with the new? Cavaliers and Phantom seem to have done it in the 00's, and not lost sight of what came before. Cavaliers are still powerful, masculine...inventive. Regiment is still classical, elegant...loud.

How does Madison do that? What, at the core is the Madison Scout identity? That has to be answered.

Does that mean more "straightforward" jazz programming with a kicked up visual program? That kind of median is about the only thing that hasn't been put out there since 2001 or so as a program (although 2005 was close in trying to blend the disparate identities the Scouts seem to suffer from now), and perhaps, is a solution to pacify folks.

to me, Madison found this in 97...98, eh, and hey you cant go wrong with the 99 show.

but it seems somestimes they tried too hard to be like Madison of old, and sometimes they tried to be different to be different.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Madison Scouts announce new direction for organization

8/22/2006 -- 3:14 PM CST

From a Madison Drum & Bugle Corps Association, Inc. press release:

At their post-DCI meeting on Aug. 21, the Madison Drum & Bugle Corps Association, Inc. board of directors voted to not extend the contract of Sylvester Salas, who has served in a dual role as executive director of the organization and director of the Madison Scouts since 2003.

Salas is an alum of the Scouts and also served on the instruction staff for several seasons after his ageout year. After leaving Madison, he worked with Spirit of Atlanta and Glassmen, as well as his own winter guard, State Street Review, in Madison. The guard is the holder of the longest winning streak in WGI history.

Board President Jeff Manion stressed that the Association recognizes and appreciates the contributions Salas has made over the past four seasons, producing field shows, hiring staff and managing a business that represents 135 young men, a vast alumni base over a 68-year time period and scores of volunteers and boosters who are scattered around the United States, Canada and the world.

The board will soon announce specific details of its plan for the future of the Madison Drum & Bugle Corps Association, Inc. and the corps. Members, supporters and fans can rest assured that the coming seasons promise great things for the Madison Scouts.

after reading this, it seems to me that placement alone is not the reason. IMO, there's a lot more we dont know about

I suggest a show completely taken from the works of Ladysmith Black Mombazo! :lol:

<_<

I realize you're being flip here, but...

I'm not trying to step on any toes here with Scouts former or present with what I posted...just an outside perspective as a fan through the years. I know you guys have much, much more insight into than most do. :)

...and use "You Can Call Me Al" as an opener. :P

Yeah, for me as a Scout fan, yet never involved with the Scouts, I would like to see the high energy, powerful, masculine, in your face show again that made the Scouts such a favorite with any crowd they performed for. Yes, they have placed higher since 2002, but they seem to have lost their heart, soul, and identity in the process. The thunder of applause they used to get simply isn't there any more. While I'm sure ever member worked his tail off this summer, I saw no sign of the enthusiasm, energy, and showmanship people naturally associate with the Scouts. Personally, I would like to have one of my favorite corps back again. I'm not putting down anyone here, this is just how I feel. As with any corps, I don't care what the #### the judges think - if they know how to entertain me and put on a high-energy show, they are truly winners in my book. Scouts haven't done that in awhile in my opinion. I wish them the very best in 2007.

You said exactly what I was trying to say, but with more eloquence! Bravo.

A lot of you are pretty surprised by this announcement. The brief talk I had with Sal at Mansfield Stadium makes more sense now.

Corps fans will speculate on the reasons and politics of this decision. Everyone will have an opinion of who will or should replace Sal. When it's all said-and-done there will be a new director of the Madison Scouts and they will still be the Madison Scouts.

The Scouts are not defined by their director, but by the members, past and present. Sal has done a great job in the last four seasons and now the torch passes to the next director (who by the way, will not be the last director).

Just as in every year before this one, I look forward to seeing the next class of Scouts and the product they put on the field. Everyone knows that they will put everything into it, leaving it all on the field every show.

MYNWA

The speculations may now continue....

well... I won't get into a battle I can never "win."

Dan S. stated it best above. It might be close to say someone like Troy Aikmann, who now as a TV sports anchor... watches the Dallas Cowboys and

finds criticism with what they do now days. He will always be a Cowboy but speaks from experience from within that organization, and means no disrespect

to the guys currently playing on that team he loves, just the way they are playing.

You are a true champion for protecting and mother henning all the great kids that march now days from all us old meanies who talk and talk and blither on

about "the good ol' days when we marched" and making sure we don't hurt their feelings with mean sounding opinions...

but the implication that we stood falsly with our little brothers and patted them on the back but secretly thought they weren't "real" Scout's is wayyyyy off base.

You're missing the point of that post about the current trends of corps style... obviously an OPINION that you don't share... so shake your head and skip it.

And you know what? In ten years it will be the kids marching NOW who will be here on DCP talking about how much drum corps has changed from THEIR day

back in 2006...

It's okay. Some people find their purpose in endlessly editorializing on things they only have partial understanding of. Just enough to have an opinion and fact or two to state, and with a wood crate to stand on. That's how I wrote off that person's endless posts on the MSRCP string.

Oop. Now I'll be banned. Goodbye.

Quit giving your brothers crap for trying to adapt. So you're taking a jab at the design, but it's still a slap in the face to tell us we're just another drum corps and we've lost our identity.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is the precise point I have been trying to make.

Perhaps because he wore the green, HIS opinion will actually be heard.

I for one have to say it's a very sad day for me and for the rest of us. We all love Sal and Cody, and I hate to see them go. It's a pretty nervous time for me, as to who will replace them, and where we're going.

I agree! Sal and Cody have nothing but class! I think I speak for everyone when i say we wish them nothing but the best, and know they will still be a part of the activity in some way shape or form.

Drum corps keeps changing. If we didn't try to keep up with the times, we'd still be marching elevator drill with hand-cranked timpani and glockenspiels on the field, and not making it even close to finals. Quit giving your brothers crap for trying to adapt. So you're taking a jab at the design, but it's still a slap in the face to tell us we're just another drum corps and we've lost our identity.

It's not meant to be a slap in the face, but I hate to say it, the argument has some weight. It's not the membership's fault that the shakeup is happening. I think the resounding cry of the hardcore fans is starting to catch up with the corps.

I think you would agree that this year's Scouts do not resemble the classic Scouts era of the 80's and 90's. This is niether good nor bad. My concern is that the Madison Scouts feel thay have been put into the position of having to "try and adapt". I believe the corps management sold themselves out by putting too much emphasis on competing and not enough on entertaining.

IMO the struggle for most corps is understanding that general effect is still king, and what's even more difficult is finding a way to design a show that can compete and have the fans dancing in their seats. Having the ability to connect with the audience is a lost art in this activity... but its something that Madsion used to do better then anyone.

The connection has been lost... the Madison Scouts are no longer that corps.

I think the goal for the corps doesn't have to be revisiting the great shows of the 80's and 90's. Rather, the Scouts need to tweak this new identity and find a way to connect with the audience again. This corps used to do that better than anyone else. My hope is they can one day do it again.

Oop. Now I'll be banned. Goodbye.

People don't get banned for posting an opinion here.

People DO get banned for having multiple anonymous accounts.

Chris Tomsa for Scouts Director

His blood runs green, he knows the Scout Story, and lived a big part of it himself.

He will bring back the "ELVORD VIBE"

ALL NEW BRASS STAFF with strong jazz/latin jazz backgrounds (no Corps Heads!)

No more senseless shows with meaningless notes, PLEASE!!!

The music of the Count Basie Orchestra, would work just fine. If you feel the Count didn't play enough notes to feed the judges, please refer to "Whirlybird", "Wind Machine" etc..............

Thank You