• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the greatest shows of all time?

Ok...in your opinion.

One of their best?

Ok....in your opinion.

In my opinion, it was a stinker...but what do I know.

Just wondering why you think that. They had an amazing opener, and amazing ballad, and an amazing closer.

Just wondering why you think that. They had an amazing opener, and amazing ballad, and an amazing closer.

Why do I think that?

Well....I didn't think the opener was amazing. I thought the ballad was ok, but to be honest, I've heard at least two dozen better ballads over the years. And the closer was a mess, visually and musically. There is a reason that Cadets scored that low, and to be quite honest, I felt that Scouts and Crossmen should have beaten them.

I certainly don't think it's, as you claim, one of the greatest shows of all time, and it doesn't even crack my Cadets' top ten. I saw that show perhaps a dozen times up close during Regiment's early tours out east...and while it got a LOT better over the course of the year (yeeeesh, you should have seen how bad it was early in the season), I never really bought into it.

I'll be honest though....I'd take 1991 Cadets over 2006 Cadets.

• 7 months later...

Just watched this show for the gazillionth time...but this time on my new DVD, so it's all sparkly and what not (and it sounds different, more pitheavy than the audio I have)...anyway...

I still love this show, the last minute or two are some of the best of drum corps. And I was specifically watching the guard this time because I wanted to compare the Cadets guard to the guard that won...BD.

Okay, I'm still angry Cadets didn't snag that guard trophy. That line was darn near flawless, had a fantastic field presence (carried the show really), some fantastic body work in the ballad, they sold the show (perfectly) in a way that was a head above most guards (in a general sense).

BD's guard was also a tour de force in their show. A gazillion costume changes, extremely colorful, interesting equipment, and wow that closer! But I also found a lot of their work lacked clarity or projection, and I just have a hard time putting this guard over what I believe was a perfectly executed Cadets guard...

anywho...I also wish Cadets didn't have that nasty intonation problem finals night, maybe could have gotten that brass score up and been more biting-at-the-heels of Cavies...

When I marched that year, I remember somebody about two weeks before finals saying, "They're the traditional dark horse--you just wait--Cadets will come from behind to win it all!"

I rolled my eyes. Sure, I liked the Cadets--really neat show--but there was no way they would crack the top 3.

But sure enough, they came pretty dang close to taking out Cavies.

I've said it before, but if you go by purely score differential from Thursday-Friday-Saturday, Cadets would have beaten us given one more night. On the other hand, the opposite would have happened in 1990.

Again, I am going purely on scores, and this is completely hypothetical.

I've said it before, but if you go by purely score differential from Thursday-Friday-Saturday, Cadets would have beaten us given one more night. On the other hand, the opposite would have happened in 1990.

Again, I am going purely on scores, and this is completely hypothetical.

1990 was a very tight year! I'm not sure aobut your statement, there were big placement discrepencies in the big contenders...Cavies in Brass, Star in Visual...and you have a corps that is so solid in all captions like Cadets were that year...I just dunno. To me, Cavies had GE all over Cadets, dunno about that Tie there...

Edited by chris ncsu

i watched this show 3 or 4 days ago for the first time in a while.

i dont understand why everyone in this thread is slamming their hornline. i thought it was unbelievable, between exposure and performance. probably around 0.6% people who've marched drum corps since its origins have marched in a hornline as proficient, powerful, or technically brilliant as that one.

aside from the obvious demand, the exposure in the horn parts from that year.....no one has anything CLOSE to that in their shows anymore. it was 1992 and the drill was still more effective than anything most corps have done since.

id say that its easily a top 3 show in modern times, and i'd be surprised if it didnt win.

Does anyone know the story of how that corps rose from a low 6th place mid season to 2nd and winner of GE?

I don't think I've ever seen something like that happen in the post 83 Garfield era

They had a fricking hard show and started slowly. They added more and more layers to the show as the season progressed. They worked their butts off.... Typical Garfield.

I always remember what Jim Mason ( Star of Indiana corps director) said about the East coast corps versus the West coast corps. The West coast corps "prepare" ( great show designs) to win. He always admired that. The East coast corps ( Cadets ) have such a great work ethic. ( They work their butts off).

Is it just me, or did CBC have some pretty bad intonation issues at finals night? I hear some crazy tuning when I listen to that recording.

The mellophones had some problems. I heard those problems all year from them.

*joins in on the eye-rolling*

*joins the joining of the eye-rolling thing*