Most Moving/Memoral Moment

I was part of that with the Yankee Rebels that year and it was an emotional moment playing "Don't Cry for me Argentina". I am not a legend or anything but any time you are on the field playing with other corps for such an occasion, it's an incredible feeling.

That was in all my years the most moving moment I have had to experiance! Don't get me wrong, I would choose not experiance it under those circumstances. We all loved Cos. It was like losing a father! But there was a 100+ man hornline including membership from every year of the Cabs, Yankee Rebals, Skyliners, Buccaneers, Sunrisers, "Garfield Cadets", Muchachos, Bridgemen (I think) and many others. Sorry If I can't name them all. I was a bit misty. Some came in their own corps uniform, others respectfully dressed. We played outside of the St Anthony's chuch in Hawthorne. The Police blocked off the streets. It was amazing. For just a moment in time we all played as one and cryed and morned as one! The song's were "When the Saints Go Marchng In" and "Don't Cry For Me Argentina". Cos had once asked, as I heard it, that when he was in New Orleans, he heard an N.O. band marching down the steet playing WTSGMI, I think it was a funeral procession. He wanted that to be played at his own! Argentina was Mary's favorite Cabs tune! Chris Bernotos wrote these amazing arrangements of both songs.

WE played one more time at the cemetery which was probably the hardest thing for me to do anyway! It was impossible to hold back the tears. Cos's wife and family were standing in the middle of the line with tears and smiles. Its hard enough for me to remember and type this. To this day I don't think I could ever play those songs again without breaking down. Part of me wishes someone would post a recording of that day and the other says, no way! I cound't listen to it! I know we have part of the Tribute on the website from 2001 which we played at retreat at finals. That too was incredible!

CosTribute

Edited by JKatzmellophone

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1977 Bridgeport show...my birthday...The SUNRISERS arced around my moms orange VW station wagon and sang "HAPPY BIRTHDAY".....MONOTONE AND AS LOUD AS POSSIBLE. Probable the scariest thing that has ever happened to me. I hope I never forget it.

Explain the "emergency" part, please.....I'm not getting it.

Who better to answer your question than a former member of SCV who was on the field that night

Here is what the poster of that video had to say:

From pyrvinny

"The Top Secret ending to the '79 show - Code Name "E.R." aka Emergency Re-Entry.

About half the audience realized something was up when they noticed the colorguard was in the middle of the formation (they originally were behind the horns).

When the guard dropped to their knees, I could barely hear my own horn, let alone the guy next to me or the drum line. What a rush. I'm sure that it still holds the record for the loudest crowd response.

Did it stave off a 4th place finish behind Spirit of Atlanta - I highly doubt it. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Gayle Royer got the idea moments after they announced the 2nd place score in 1978.

By the way - Gayle assigned me the task of making copys of his hand written music for the Bottle Dance and distribute it accordingly. I still have the originals".

SCV's 1979 DCI Finals Secret Ending (E.R.)

What is the most thrilling thing you have witnessed in drum corps (Junior, All Age, Alumni, I&E or what ever)?

that moment that gives you goosebumps every time you think of it.

That ending where everyone falls down in exagerated exhaustion at the finale.

Or that opener of Georgia that blew the stands back 10 foot in 1980.

For me it's SCV's "E.R" @ 1979 DCI Championships.

SCV 1979 Emergency Re-entry Video 1:42

West Haven CT........CT Hurricanes, CT Alumni, & Park City Pride joined together as one corp playing Rhapsody in Blue, Hang em High/ Mag 7 in tribute to "Jumpin Joe".

I still have a ringing in my ears.

Scarlet Knights...............Snare Line........................1961-1964

Golden Buccaneers................................................1965

USMC D&B.....Snare,Tenor, Soprano, Mellophone.....1965-1969

Park City Pride...............Snare Line........................2004-

The Skyliners in Lockport, New York, DCA Exhibition the day before Championships in Rochester, the evening following Henry "Lefty" Mayer's passing...

This was a rough and tumble bunch of guys. But to see most of them in tears was heartbreaking. They became human to me that night and I'll never understand how they got through the performance.

By the way, I think there was a tree in the middle of the field, or maybe it was a gas valve...

The year was 1976, I think... A little help here, someone?

In 1992, the first year for the Erie TBIRDS Alumni, we competed in the Mixed Ensemble at the Masonic Shrine in Scranton and stayed at the Hampton Inn (yinz' know.....the one overlooking Lackawana stadium) but my most memorable moment was Jeff Gibbens playing the "Wedding Song" on a soprano Bugle in the Inn parking lot the next morning for our 29th wedding anniversary which happened to fall on that day. Sept. 7th 1992. Yep.........we were all still ####ed up and dancing in the parking lot. AND my first (and the wife's) Senior show since Aquanis (spl.) stadium in RaChaCha in 1969.

(Oh ya......and seeing my CAB's for the first time since 1969)