"Everybody's So Serious Today"

So, my wife and I are sitting here in our office while I rush to get my homework done for tonight's assignment (yes, I'm supposed to be doing homework. What, you my mother all of a sudden?). Blue Devils '94 comes up on my iTunes.

My wife turns and asks me, "Is this an alumni corps?"

Now, before you all get ticked off about that question, let me explain why she asked it because it has nothing to do with the quality level of the performance.

When I pointed out that this was '94 BD, my wife made an interesting statement. She said, "Really? There's a level of exuberance you don't hear today because everybody's trying to be so serious. That's why I thought it was something like a senior or alumni corps."

Mind you, my wife has only seen shows from the past four years, both junior and all-age, so performances from '94 are pretty new to her. It's an interesting perspective, though, and I'd like to get your thoughts on the matter.

Well, that is an interesting response. My first thought--as you assumed--was "how could anyone mistake the excellence of the 1994 BD's with an alumni corps?" (no disrepect meant to alumni corps which are terrific). So thanks for explaining abit. :)

Just the same, I remember the 1990's as a pretty self-conscious, oh-so-serious time, so I'm not sure I see much of difference in that regard. In fact, drum corps has always been serious and I think of today's performances as being less serious...more entertainment focused, and less militaristic. Afterall, we really don't "march" anymore..."guards" are in many ways a thing of the past, etc. The notion of "drum corps as art" is increasingly becoming part of the design concept, though that too has been with us for 20 years now and really started to take hold in the 1980's with the Garfield Cadets and crystallizing with the Star of Indiana in the 1990's...all very serious. Hmm...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Intersting. I took a first timer to a show this past summer and she found all the corps to be entertaining. She couldn't believe the difficulty in music, marching and was shocked by the levels at which all corps performed. This is a lady that played flute in a symphony for 30 years, and had never been to a show but always wanted to go.

I think the problem might be that some of you on this forum take "yourselves" too seriously.

Last years corps as a whole showed a entertainment quality and level of excellence frankly that was awe inspiring.

We require 150 members per (my) corps. All pits must be amplified, and vocals are a must have. We need new equipment every year, and uniforms must be designed and fit for a royal coronation. If some corps cannot afford the bread then let them eat cake. No financial burden should be considered when put in competition with the magnitude of the (my) cause.

Your beloved,

Hoppy

I LOVE YOU HOPPY.

Intersting. I took a first timer to a show this past summer and she found all the corps to be entertaining. She couldn't believe the difficulty in music, marching and was shocked by the levels at which all corps performed. This is a lady that played flute in a symphony for 30 years, and had never been to a show but always wanted to go.

I think the problem might be that some of you on this forum take "yourselves" too seriously.

Last years corps as a whole showed a entertainment quality and level of excellence frankly that was awe inspiring.

Ahh, which means the first timer is not able to make the comparision that Gadget is making. Also IMO, the fact that the lady has such a musical background makes a big difference in what she can get from the shows.

(Following is based on the Sr/All Age side)

Today corps are going more for the complex shows that the non-musically inclined fan might not totally "get". When I joined in the 70s a lot of corps were using more "less musically inclined fan" :P friendly show but some were going to the less well known music. Comparing the make-up of the fans in the stands only seems to confirm this as in the 70s there were a lot more people who were not musical, not corps alumni or did not have family members marching. IOW, they were able to enjoy without a musical background.

My wifes only musical background is a few years playing flute and hanging with me at corps functions and with corps people. Her take on Alumni corps shows and members is "These guys are fun!". (And "guys" = both genders :angry: )

Ahh, which means the first timer is not able to make the comparision that Gadget is making. Also IMO, the fact that the lady has such a musical background makes a big difference in what she can get from the shows.

Today corps are going more for the complex shows that the non-musically inclined fan might not totally "get". When I joined in the 70s a lot of corps were using more "less musically inclined fan" :P friendly show but some were going to the less well known music. Comparing the make-up of the fans in the stands only seems to confirm this as in the 70s there were a lot more people who were not musical, not corps alumni or did not have family members marching. IOW, they were able to enjoy without a musical background.

My wifes only musical background is a few years playing flute and hanging with me at corps functions and with corps people. Her take on Alumni corps shows and members is "These guys are fun!". (And "guys" = both genders :angry: )

I thought the same thing...that the women had a musical background does imply that she's going to "get more out of" a drum corps show...thus increasing her likelihood of being entertained.

And that, perhaps, illustrates the problem. Are drum corps shows being written for musicians, that is to say people with some level of musical literacy? Or are they "dumbed down" and are written for those with limited musical/artistic training, etc?

IMHO, show designers very often try to meet both audiences and that, of course, is a hard balance to strike. Especially since many of the show designers are young, fairly inexperienced, and at the beginning stages of development.

I would love to see drum corps become more "community based" and "amateur-focused" but not at the expense of the artistry of Garfield, Cadets, Suncoast, Phantom, etc. Does it have to be either/or?

Also, keep in mind, that once upon a time the directors and instructors of corps were not necessarily musicians or music educators but moms and dads, parish priests, community members, etc. Their musical tastes and abilities were, in many cases, somewhat limited. Today's corps, on the other hand, benefit from the talents of professional musicians and top designers and attract a different breed of kids than did the local church-sponsored group of the 60s and 70s.

Today corps are going more for the complex shows that the non-musically inclined fan might not totally "get". When I joined in the 70s a lot of corps were using more "less musically inclined fan" :P friendly show but some were going to the less well known music.

So we should just simply give up complexity and focus on half notes and whole notes, and just play loud?

My mom went to a show last year, and this was the fisrt since I had marched back in the early 90's, and she commented on how entertaining the shows were and she is not one bit musically inclined.

My Uncle Jeffrey marched snare back in the late 70's, was at the same show with my mom, and he can't believe how entertaining the shows were.

Mom and uncle J, hope you are reading this. This guy thinks you just don't get it.

Maybe its just me, but there is something about a live corps show that makes even the shows I find borring on DVD entertaining.

For the record, my wife is a conservatory trained violinist with a Masters degree in music education (focus on string theory). Her musical background is much stronger than mine, while my drum corps background is much stronger than hers.

Also, I purposely posted her comments without including my own. I wanted to see what other people thought considering that my wife's exposure to drum corps essentially started when she met me back in 2002.

The key is to take the work seriously without taking yourself seriously. I hear people talking about putting on the superman suit or whatever and just have to laugh. Others spew about their corps' "greatness" or whatever. In the end, no one gives a hoot. So, try to have a little fun in the process. Let your audience know that you are having fun and they might just have fun too.

There was a segment on the 89 or 90 broadcast (or somewhere around then) featuring VK, where one of the staff members basically said as much--that they took their performance level very seriously, but the theme or content of their shows not so much. (It's been a while, but I think he said something to the effect that some of the other corps did take themselves and the activity a little too seriously)

With me, it's all about variety-- I don't want a full swing one way or the other, but like to see many different styles (from "serious" to "silly") on any given night. However, I do think that corps that perform on the lighter side probably have to fight an up-stream battle for judge recognition. (Going against the flow, you know...)