Gay DCI Community

This has been a fun subject to read. I only have the perspective of being a supporter of a corps but I think as gay men we need to be active and open in our broader community. My partner and I give money every year to the Arizona Academy and I do my best to help with fund raising and marketing activities since that is my profession. One of the reasons we do support the corps is that we want any gay guys in the corps to have a positive role model. We do not hide the fact that we are a couple and in general we feel very welcome at fund raising event and banquets etc. Some day I would like to establish a schorlaship for Arizona Academy that would help any gay kids pay tour fees. Is anyone aware of such a program at other corps? Would it cuase more problems than help?

Are there any other gay fans here in Phoenix? We must be running into each other at shows each summer and not know it. I was down on the field last summer giving awards at both shows so you might have seen me.

Edited by SteenAZ

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did expierence DCI back in the 1970's. Back then you did not even mention that you might bi or gay. I still get #### from former alumnus like, I was doing somthing wrong like I had the plague. They all know who they are! I hope times have changed for the members of DCI today. No one deserves to be treated the way others and myself who are gay were treated and still are. Unfortunatly a lot of the alumnus I marched with, they still have some part to do with Drum Corps today. They are still as biggoted as in the past. I guess ignorance is bliss???

It's a shame you had that experience. I really wish it hadn't been like that for you! :(

It was out and open here and I'd say 1/2 of my good friends were/are gay. That's not to say that everyone accepted it, however there would be no harrasment tolerated if I heard a bad word said.

Also, if you were not accepting of it, you'd be loosing out on some great people. I love and respect my gay and straight friend equally.

One of the nicest compliments I received was an instructor telling me if he wasn't gay, he'd want to date and hopefully marry me. It was a great compliment considering who said it.

I still get #### from former alumnus like, I was doing somthing wrong like I had the plague.

Screw them man, they have the plague. <**>

I can't imagine touring without our guard instructor, he is the one that has the staff in hysterics from the time we get on the van to the time we get off the van.

Why people made, and still make a big deal out of orientation is beyond me. I haven't known many gay females, but the gay men I have known have been some of the nicest, most considerate, creative and #### funny people in my life.

Steen, I'm here in the Tempe area, not gay but I don't discriminate against anyone. Maybe we can meet at one of the shows here or one of their practices.

In response to some of the posts, I just don't understand the (for lack of a better way of saying it) "Mentality" of members of the Gay community. When it comes to the label "I'm gay".

It kind of reminds me of my step sister who back in the day was very Goth. I looked at it like it was more of a rebellious attention getter. It brought with it a redicule and a stigma BUT she got noticed. She wasn't noticed for who she was on the inside but more of who she looked like on the outside. Very few took the time to get to know her because of that. My view on the "Gay" label used by the gay community as well as the hetro community accomplishes the same (IMO).

For some it appears that the label empowers them, and for others it seems to alienate them from other members of society. (Prejudice comes in many forms and everyone is represented in one way shape of form.

We may all be different, and we all migrate towards a place where we don't feel different. But on the inside we are all very much the same, if only we looked that deep.

We all have feelings that go very deep but the walls we have built to protect us accomplish both good and bad. Much like the Berlin wall no one could get in and no one could come out.

What a marvelous world this would be without prejudice and without those walls.

Edited by Phantombari1

GMICHAEL.... I said REREAD my earlier post. Yes, the Sky Ryders were CHOCK full of gay guys. I didn't care. By the way in 1981 there were three corps in the Madison area. I had NO problem with any of them and befriended a bunch. No problem. I only posted what happened, and it DID happen, because everyone was ragging on slowsoprano for mentioning it. I didn't say it was right or wrong, or whether the pointer was gay or not. Just thought that a guy walking around a mens shower area at full attention was and is a little odd. If you wake up with that involuntary pointer, wait until it subsides before hopping next to me in the showers please. B)

Screw them man, they have the plague. <**>

I can't imagine touring without our guard instructor, he is the one that has the staff in hysterics from the time we get on the van to the time we get off the van.

Why people made, and still make a big deal out of orientation is beyond me. I haven't known many gay females, but the gay men I have known have been some of the nicest, most considerate, creative and #### funny people in my life.

Thanks, I do apperciate your words. It is people like yourself and others on here who have shown the love and care no matter who you are, that we are all in this together. That sexual orientation does not matter.

Edited by bobk9258