Cadets Narration 2007

please dont be that naive. I did not say "Hrothgar, you're opinions are pathetic"....opinions are opinions, but the way you put them across, yeah well that may be pathetic. honestly, you wish that their music and visual program is a bad one?? do u have any idea what kind of cruel, nasty, and despicable comment that really is?? you're actually hoping that 135 kids your age will spend the summer marching in a horrible show...kids who spend thousands of dollars....kids who may go through hell in obstacles to just be able to march that corps...and you're ACTUALLY HOPING THEY MARCH IN A BAD SHOW?!?!? you really show you're immaturity with a comment like that. I will agree, i am not a fan of vocals or singing or any of the sort. I wish the Cadets would exclude that aspect of their program...but i still appreciate and still think their #$@#%&% good despite it. and i would never, REPEAT NEVER, would hope/wish/pray that the Cadets or any other drum corps would have a bad music and visual program because they choose to have amps and what not. I do hope every marching member gets a chance to perform in a wonderfully designed program and have the time of their lives performing for thousands and be happy with their product. Your comment is comparable to someone who is against the war in Iraq so they say something like "I really hate Bush for that war and am against it...I hope the soldiers fighting over there would die inspite of it..." maybe what you said is not to that degree, but it is that idea....that you're actually hoping these kids march in a bad program because you dont like amps....

<**> <**> <**> <**>

EXTREMELY well put. ^OO^

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy, Tekk, was showing his admiration for his corps. It's different when you're a former member.

For example, I always look forward to The Cadets the most every year and will cheer wildly. They hold a place in the hearts of their alumni, just like many other corps. I'll still be critical, as there are parts of the show I probably won't like, but I'm still going to give it up. They didn't have my favorite show last year (Fantastic job by the way Phantom), but I still enjoyed many portions of their show and will always give them a full ovation (Barring they don't come out and flick off the audience or something like that).

By the way, thanks for making that clear. Much appreciated.

Sorry but in my opinion you are just wrong. Narration has no place in drum corps. Amplified voice has no place in drum corps. The fact that the Cadets chose to go ahead and do it lowered their stock more than they will ever realize. Done...

Both narration and amplified voicve do indeed have places in drum corps...they have been legal since 2004.

I could be missing the mark here, but I don't think Cadets (or any corps, for that matter) necessarily use narration in an attempt to explain or clarify their shows. I believe most utilize narration or other vocals because they feel it adds an extra dimension to the program.

By way of example, look at the Blue Stars show from 2006. I think most people understood the intent behind that show and were fairly clear as to what the corps was trying to convey. Narration wasn't necessary as a means of explaining the music's message and, in fact, was not a part of the production in the early season. Did audiences get dumber as the season progressed? Did the corps suddenly feel it imperative to add narration to assist all those hapless souls who, somehow, just couldn't understand a show about patriotism and freedom? Were judges telling the corps their program was too abstract and incomprehensible and the only way to save it would be to have members of the corps use voice-overs to articulate the meaning? I think not. Rather, I would venture that the corps' directors felt that narration could bring another layer to the fabric and texture of the show. By utilizing the recently-legalized amped vocals, Blue Stars added one more color, one more element, to their pallette. Copland must have felt much the same way when he conceived of A Lincoln Portrait. His music is masterful and certainly stands alone but, I don't think anyone would argue that, in the case of Portrait the spoken word has power -- a power that music alone doesn't possess.

Now, before I'm drawn and quartered by the anti-vocal contingent, let me say that I'm generally against the use of narration, vocals, etc. However, I think some of the arguments presented to justify the "down with narration" platform are pretty weak.

Edited by ChicagoFan

In all fairness, this debate really isn't just limited to the Cadets (though they get the most attention because they are the forerunner's of it) - everyone that used it last year caught flack (except X-men).

Both narration and amplified voicve do indeed have places in drum corps...they have been legal since 2004.

a drum corps could go out and stand silently for 10 minutes, and that would be legal, too..doesn't mean it's right

There are some things that just turn a person off...yer eating an apple..and you find a worm. You know perfectly well that the area not touching the worm is fine to eat, but you throw the apple out. Amplification and narration is a hot button for quite a lot of people that enjoy drum corps. Would Garfield's show have been as enjoyable without narration? yes...and more enjoyable for those that can't stand it. Why add something that adds nothing for some, and detracts from the others?

another show that just turned my stomach, that would have been quite enjoyable without it...YOWZA, YOWZA, YOWZA.

once again, if I wanna hear voice, that's what talk radio is for..or tv. if I wanna hear singing, i can go to numerous concerts in my area. if I wanna hear kick butt horns and drums, and great color guard, well..that's becoming harder and harder to do these days.

narration and amplification...no matter what corps it is...no matter how legal it is...it's just wrong...period.