Discovering Past Shows

I'm new to DCI. I had only seen some Cavies shows before last year. 2006 was my first season following DCI, and I absolutely loved it. I've been able to see old shows through the 2005 Classic Countdown DVD my friend has and some old finals DVDs from this decade. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for shows I could look up on Google Video or YouTube. I watched the first half of SCV 1999 today (didn't get to finish it) and absolutely loved it (can't wait to watch the rest later).

Bring on the suggestions B)

Edited by i_play_percussion

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm new to DCI. I had only seen some Cavies shows before last year. 2006 was my first season following DCI, and I absolutely loved it. I've been able to see old shows through the 2005 Classic Countdown DVD my friend has and some old finals DVDs from this decade. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for shows I could look up on Google Video or YouTube. I watched the first half of SCV 1999 today and absolutely loved it.

Bring on the suggestions B)

google video, youtube, and any kind of download program, like limewire, etc...

anything from star of indiana, especially 1991 and 1993--- it was just ahead of it's time.

cadets... '97,'98,'99,'00-'06 for a more modern taste of things... i feel like the big apple show in '99 is overlooked a lot b/c it's sandwiched between two championships but it's just as amazing as stone henge and we are the future

1980 spirit of atlanta is always a winner

you would watch any year of blue devils and be satisfied. the rotating block at the beginning of their '97 show is great. i love how the shadows line up and stay consistent the whole time. now that's some excellent marching technique. 2003- phenomenon of cool... 'nough said

phantom regiment '96 (of course), '03-'06... '89 and '91 aren't so bad either

'95 and '96 madison are classic drum corps. you can't beat that wall of sound. hell, '97 and '99 are right up there too... '98 is good, but it just seems to be missing something and it doesn't quite fit with the others from that time period.

'03 spirit is nice... they were really owning that cavies bicycle marching technique

boston... '00 and '03

there's a lot of great stuff out there on youtube and google video. this should be a good start. i hope it helps.

All of the Star of Indiana shows. mainly look at the 89-93 shows, because those are when they really started getting good. Look at Blue Devils 94, 96, and 03. Cavaliers 92 is amazing, and also Cavaliers 00-06 are of course fantastic. Cadets 83(probably my favorite show of all time, music wise), Cadets 84, 85, 87, 93, 98, 00. Phantom Regiment 89, 91, 94, 96, 01. Madison 88, 95, 96, 05. Bluecoats 02, 05, 06. There are many others.

actually google video/youtube is illegal so I would not reccomend that...especially on DCP

If you're looking for pretty solid shows, order "Legacy Collection" DVDs from any year from 1986 to 1993. Those years are probably the best consecutive years for DCI in my opinion.

What year is that clip shown in your sig???

you can also buy the audio files off of dci season pass for 2.99 apiece. theyre the professional, official recordings of almost every finals performance EVER. the money goes to support drum corps.

As for shows to check out, SCV is always amazing. 1999 was NOT anywhere near their best show, even though they won 1st place. Check them out in 1997, 1998, 2000-present. 1987 and 1989 are great as well, and 1996 aint bad. If you love percussion, 2003, 2004, and 2005 are must-haves. 03 has awesome parts, 04 was arguably the best drumline ever, and 05 was arguably the most innovative ever (ignore the scores from that year, they were great).