• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh? No Sky Ryder Love?

83 Sky Ryders

Also

74/75 Muchachos

Many good suggestions posted here so far, so I won't repeat the newer one's. Based on who you've seen in 2006 and what you've been able to see via DVD...

YOu should look for some of these. I know some stuff is on YouTube that I've mentioned below. Enjoy! There are so many great shows out there!

Shows similar in spirit to PR 06 -

Phantom '87 - Swan Lake and Nutcracker...

Phantom '88 - Romeo and Juliet

Phantom '91

Cavaliers - The Geometric Drill masters

Cavies '88 - Firebird... Wonderful drill

Cavies '89 - Rutter's Gloria... Again great drill

Cavies '90 - Great drill! All Things Bright and Beautiful.

Blue Devils

'88 For the music alone...

'90 Tommy

'92

Any Star show...

Cadets - Ameba drill masters...

'87 - Applachian Springs

'89 - Les Mis

'92 - To Tame the Perilous Skies

'93 - Part Two with Knights...

SCV

'87

'88 My favorite version of Phantom of the Opera ( better solos)

'90 Carmen

'91 Miss Saigon

'92 Fiddler on the Roof Show ( Sort of a Homage to their past. Very emotional)

Added a couple shows

Edited by jjeffeory

I think its 92 (but they did something similar in 91also). smile.gif Finals were in Madison that year,right?(there's a big M on the 50) tongue.gif

J, the drumcorp dork

Thanks. It has to be Madison in 92. Finals were in Dallas in 91. I'm one of those brass guys that's into the music, but that impact looks sweet!

Now I have to pop in the DVD.

I don't know if it's been mentioned already, but 91 SCV was great. Especially the helicopter sound in the battery.

Go by the 1992 Finals DVD. Last of the great drum corps shows.

- Last time the bottle dance was performed by SCV in competition - classic stuff.

- Velvet Knights were in rare form that year - I think last time they were in finals.

- Blue Devils closer - When a Man Loves a Woman - we'll about about as close to "HARD R" as drum corps gets.

- Madison with City of Angels - I Love that show (my first year to tour with Madison so I'm biased.

- Cavaliers first Championship

- Cadets a show that I thought was the total package

- Star of Indiana's attempt to please everyone (only corps I know of that won quarter finals and to finish 3rd by finals night)

- PR's fabric show - check out all the fabric PR used in the guard, who knew that Rockford IL had so many fabric stores that sold silver/blue/gold/white lemay.

It's a classic DVD and one of my favorates

So I've been able to watch six shows so far...

-Santa Clara Vanguard 1992- I loved this show. The music was so fun. My high school did Fiddler a few years back, so this show brought back some memories from that. The bottle dance is awesome.

-Blue Devils 1994- This is another great show. I'm not a big fan of the Blue Devils (besides 2003), but the music in this show was beautiful. I'll definitely have to watch this a few more times.

-Phantom Regiment 2003- What can I say? Great music. I actually enjoyed the visual (the guard was a little weak, but that didn't matter too much). This show made my all-time favorites list. :)

-Phantom Regiment 2004- Another great PR show. I'm going to have to watch it a few more times though. 2003 kind of overshadowed it this weekend.

-Star of Indiana 1991- I don't know why, but this show didn't really do much for me. I loved the visual program though. They definitely move a lot. And the cross to cross set is awesome.

-Star of Indiana 1993- Same as 1991. Didn't really do anything for me. Like '91, it was performed well. I'll have to sit down and watch these two shows a couple more times.

I can't wait to watch the other shows on my list. I'm looking forward to Madison from the mid-90s, and any of the PR and SCV shows. Hopefully I'll find some more great ones (I'm pretty sure I will!). B)

Cadets 1983-2003. By far the best 20 consecutive years from any corps, ever. There was a time when I virtually equated "drum corps" with just these shows.

I have to throw in a shout for some oldy stuff, but I'm quite sure you would find it interesting if nothing else. But quite frankly I think they really are great shows:

1974 Muchacho's (mentioned above...)

1975 Blue Devils

1976 Guardsmen... maybe not a really clean show, but very musically challenging in many ways

1977 Fox Valley Raiders

1978 Bridgemen

1978 & 79 Blue Stars

Just a few that are easily forgotten, but well worth the listen if you want to go back in the way back machine.