Alumni spectacular

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing here, but I think he is referring to the voting by the fans to pick the best.

Correct, Duke ... an anonymous fan last year donated $10,000 in prize money to be disbursed as the "Pepe Notaro Entertainment Award" ... the three top Alumni Corps vote getters and one over-all competing corps were to be awarded significant cash prizes. Bayonne, Cabs Alumni and Scout House were the Alumni winners and I can't remember what competing corps won the prize. Voting was done by submitting a ballot contained in the DCA Championship Program book ... many (including my self) felt it was a misguided effort by the donor ... I have been a part of the Alumni movement since 1994 and have to agree with all those who say that, while the competitive juices are present through one's involvement with their corps, performers care about how their corps' performance is received and not how it stacks up against someone else's show ... as far as I know, the "Pepe" Award was a one-shot deal and was actually proposed to the DCA just a short time before the Championship weekend ... let's hope that if a philanthropist wants to donate money, it's shared equally among all performers ... knowing Pepe, that really would have made him smile ...

Andy

Edited by ajlisko

Rudi,

What did the alumni corps do in Rochester last year that was different from before? And what was there about it that turned people off?

And.... Not to put too fine a point on it, if you were rehearsing under a hot sun in Rochester last year, you were the only one.

Andy

Edit: Andy answered while I was typing :P (we both posted at 6:57 :huh: )

Thanks for the background Andy. Yeah, I'd perfer a spilt among all corps too.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

i'm still puzzled about the practicing in the hot sun in Rochester. they must have kidnapped it ~ cuz i can't say i saw any. :tic:

and wouldn't the corps have practiced anyways? award or no award?

:huh:

I'm leaving for Glens Falls in an hour or so, and I'll be looking for that "hot sun" that he mentioned.

The most important thing, though, is that tomorrow night I'll receive my customary "award" for an alumni show - a crowd on its feet screaming for more.

And then, after the show, people from the audience will come up to us (members of all the different alumni corps) and thank us for coming and thank us for putting on such a great show. Now THERE's an award....!

Andy

The most important thing, though, is that tomorrow night I'll receive my customary "award" for an alumni show - a crowd on its feet screaming for more.

And then, after the show, people from the audience will come up to us (members of all the different alumni corps) and thank us for coming and thank us for putting on such a great show. Now THERE's an award....!

Andy

Game ... Set... Match ... Mr Roo. :)

Even hearing a three year old yell "Yeah old people" (2006 Dundalk) helps make a long hot ###ed parade worth while. :)

I play in an Alumni Corps just for the enjoyment of entertaining people. Got to travel 12 Hrs to play in Glen's Falls for Saturday night. This will be an memorable night for the Toronto Optimists, Have not done a field show since 1975 in the US. ( I live 4 Hrs north of Toronto so thats why the 12 Hrs ) If anyone is going hope you enjoy our show.

What they did in Rochester last year turned a lot of people off. As a friend of mine told me as he was watching me sweat my butt off in the 90 degree sun practicing a drill, "Gus, I really hope you guys win the exhibition tonight."

Since Rudi and I are in the same corps, I will attempt an answer. There was no sun that weekend in Rochester last year. We were not an audience favorite apparently but we did get the only little piece of sun that weekend for a few songs in our show. Must have made someone who controls the weather happy at least for a few moments. :)

I think Rudi is talking about other times when he was rehearsing a field drill with another Alumni corps in the heat. The Yankee Rebels can no longer do a field drill unfortunately but when we did a few years back, there would be some blistering afternoons of rehearsing!

I'm leaving for Glens Falls in an hour or so, and I'll be looking for that "hot sun" that he mentioned.

Andy

Will someone write a review of the Glens Falls show ?

i'm still puzzled about the practicing in the hot sun in Rochester. they must have kidnapped it ~ cuz i can't say i saw any. :doh:

and wouldn't the corps have practiced anyways? award or no award?

:doh:

Rudi was giving an example of practicing in the hot sun for exibitions. That happened in another corps on another sunny day on a dusty parking lot in another state. He was implying that as an alumni corps we are having fun not being competitive to win or beat anyone. I have seen some Alumni's practicing in the heat of the day, more power to you. I know I would not do it. For an exibition. Not a competition.

As we all know in Rachacha the sun did not appear until Monday when we were on our way home. I know I am married to Rudi.